]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

NEARC-L Home

NEARC-L  September 2015

NEARC-L September 2015

SUMMARY: Creating / customizing AGOL app templates

Michael Mannion <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Mannion <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Sep 2015 17:15:23 +0000

text/plain

NEARC,

I'd like to thank the following people for their email and telephone responses, which included not only answers to my question, but also a variety of insightful recommendations:

*         Matt Sheehan

*         John Waterman

*         Michael Olkin

*         Sam Berg

*         Ray Corson

*         Stu Rich

Regarding hosting custom web apps on ArcGIS Online:

*         It is not possible to host a customized app on ArcGIS Online, where "customized" includes:

o   New web apps that you write from scratch

o   Copies of AGOL templates that you've downloaded and modified the code

Therefore, by extension:

*         It is not possible to create a new AGOL web app template, of the kind depicted in the screenshot from the original post

You can configure an existing AGOL template and, in turn, use it as a template. Note that "configure" denotes altering the template using the AGOL UI, without changing the template/app code directly.

For customized apps, you must run them on your own web server. In this context, I mean "your own" in a broad sense, which includes physical hardware that your organization owns, a virtual machine from an IaaS cloud vendor (e.g. AWS, Azure), or even a turnkey SaaS solution from one of our many fine web developers in the region. In any of these cases, you can register your custom app with AGOL so your users can find it, but the app, itself, will not run on the AGOL servers.

Finally, respondents endorsed AWS as a hosting platform, if you don't have the infrastructure to run a web server on your own hardware. The Configurable Map Viewer open source application also received an endorsement as a robust starting point for creating your own apps, if the AGOL templates don't meet your needs.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, and enjoy the beautiful late summer weather for the rest of the day.

-Michael

Michael Mannion | Database Consultant | Mannion Geosystems<http://www.manniongeo.com/> | +1 617.939.9958 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>