]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CTGIS-L Home

CTGIS-L  January 2017

CTGIS-L January 2017

Re: DISCUSSION: all EPA grants and contracts frozen - what about the MS4 permit?

"DeRosia-Banick, Kristin" <[log in to unmask]>

DeRosia-Banick, Kristin

Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:52:07 +0000

text/plain

Meghan and David,

I just wanted to chime in from the shellfish program perspective!   Impervious surface is a huge issue for water quality impacting shellfish growing areas, so thanks to the folks at CLEAR we include the impervious cover maps in each of our growing area reports.  I also would like to  support Meghan's efforts for Milford, and was hoping that we can keep in touch as you move forward with the mapping.  It sounds like a huge undertaking, but wanted you to know that our program really appreciates the effort.  In addition, if other coastal communities have "extracurricular" MS4 projects going on, I would love to hear more about them.  We reach out individually to the coastal towns for GIS data relating to water quality as we are rotating through our 26 town shoreline sanitary surveys, which provide the basis for our shellfish growing area classifications.  However we do update our survey information as new data becomes available, and if you have additional projects or data that may be relevant to water quality, I would be interested in hearing more about them.

Below is a blurb about the shellfish program and data that we utilize for our sanitary surveys, but this is not all-inclusive, and if you have other data that might be relevant such as the impervious surface or additional watershed analysis, I may not know to ask for that data.

I have also included a link to my new ArcGIS online mapping application, if you are interested in reviewing shellfish growing area classifications and shellfish beds for your town or region.  This is my first independent ArcGIS online effort (the listserve is a judgement-free zone, right?), so if you have any technical advice for me after checking it out, please feel free to contact me.

The Connecticut Department of Agriculture Bureau of Aquaculture (DABA) has statutory responsibility under the CGS Sec. 26-192a to act as the lead agency on shellfish in the state, abiding by regulations that reference the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP). The NSSP Model Ordinance requires that each state participating in the interstate shipment of shellfish identify all potential and actual sources of pollution that impact the shellfish growing areas. We perform sanitary surveys of the shoreline of each of Connecticut's 26 coastal towns every 12 years, averaging two Town surveys per year. In order to meet our federal requirements, the Bureau of Aquaculture is compiling a GIS database on a town-by-town basis of all known and potential pollution sources located along the shoreline including, but not limited to: stormwater collection systems, sanitary sewer collection systems, septic systems, industrial discharges, etc., the locations of which must be identified in reference to the location of shellfish beds.

Bureau staff contact each town to request GIS data layers (if available) for parcels, sanitary sewer collection systems (including sewer lines and pump stations) and stormwater collection systems (lines, and point data for catch basins and outfalls).

The DABA requests the following electronic GIS data layers, including only the requested associated database fields/attributes and metadata, if available:

* Sanitary sewer collections system (equivalent data to what is publicly available on paper maps-line data indicating general street locations of sewer lines)

* Storm water collection system (equivalent data to what is publically available on paper maps-point data showing location of outfalls and line data indicating general street location of stormwater system)

· Parcels: if there is any way through the assessors data or other town data to identify what parcels are served by sanitary sewers versus those on SSDS, that is of particular interest.

https://ctdaba.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=09279aef73594af58dc5c9f1bf9f598d?

Kristin DeRosia-Banick
Environmental Analyst III
State of Connecticut Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Aquaculture

Office:  203.874.0696 ext 112
Cell:      203.209.4023
Fax:     203.783.9976