]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CTHISTORY-L Home

CTHISTORY-L  December 2017

CTHISTORY-L December 2017

Re: The Wreck of The Revenge: Finding Social Value in Historic Artifacts

"Ranslow, Mandy" <[log in to unmask]>

CTHISTORY-L: A Discussion Board for Connecticut History

Sat, 16 Dec 2017 14:34:53 +0000

text/plain

Hello fellow Connecticut history enthusiasts!

We would like to provide an archaeological perspective on this issue.  While we are certainly sensitive to the high cost of archaeological work, especially in regards to underwater resources, we hesitate to condone the commodification of the past.

The Society for American Archaeology’s Principles of Archaeological Ethics<http://www.saa.org/AbouttheSociety/PrinciplesofArchaeologicalEthics/tabid/203/Default.aspx> addresses the commercialization of artifacts.  Principle No. 3 is focused on illicit excavation and sale of artifacts for personal profit.  The 2001 UNESCO Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage<http://www.unesco.org/new/en/culture/themes/underwater-cultural-heritage/2001-convention/> laid out the importance of protecting underwater resources and condemned the commercial exploitation of underwater sites.  While the proposal below does not appear to fall under the “trade or speculation” category, the sale of historical artifacts can be a gray ethical arena.  Giving monetary value to artifacts, even those recovered from archaeological excavations, sets a market rate for objects whether they are acquired legitimately or illicitly.

Outside of the archaeological realm, the Berkshire Museum<https://berkshiremuseum.org/> has been in the news lately for their plans to sell 40 works of art<http://www.masslive.com/living/index.ssf/2017/12/can_berkshire_museum_sell_its_art_to_stay_in_business_1.html> to raise funds that support its changing mission.  Both the American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Art Museum Directors have condemned this sale of art that is “held in the public trust and must not be treated as a disposable financial asset<https://www.aamd.org/for-the-media/press-release/statement-on-the-berkshire-museum-proposal-to-deaccession-works-of-art>.”  The sale of art and historical objects into private collections potentially eliminates access for future historians and archaeologists to conduct research.  It’s important to weigh the long-term impacts of how we collect and curate our nation’s history and ensure good stewardship of the past.

We are happy to discuss this further and answer any questions the historical community may have.

Mandy Ranslow (Department of Transportation Archaeologist) & Catherine Labadia (State Historic Preservation Office Archaeologist)

Mandy Ranslow
Archaeologist
Office of Environmental Planning
Connecticut Department of Transportation
2800 Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06131
Office: 860-594-2929
Mobile: 203-768-0361