Diversity Celebrations

"Vigneau, Judy" <[log in to unmask]>

Vigneau, Judy

Mon, 31 Aug 2020 20:01:27 +0000

text/plain

This is being sent on behalf of Professor Perez:

Good morning.
I hope everyone has had a good start to the semester so far.
As we begin to prepare our sweaters and rakes for the fall, I'd like to encourage you all to also welcome diverse celebrations recognized in September.

National Hispanic Heritage Month: 9/15 through 10/15
September 15th is the anniversary of the 1821 declaration of independence of five countries, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
Crazy Horse whose Sioux name is Tashunka Witko, was an Oglala Sioux Indian chief known for his courage and leadership in his people's rebellion against the invasion of European Americans of the Northern Great Plains. The anniversary of his death (1877) is remembered on 9/5.
Rosh Hashanah: 9/19- 9/20 begins at sunset on 9/18. This is the start of the Jewish New Year and the beginning of the Days of Awe, also known as the 10 days of repentance. Concluding 10 days later with Yom Kippur on 9/28, also known as the Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur is considered the holiest day of the year.

However, while you were on break or busy with summer courses, let's not forget June, July, and August...

June
The sixth month was chosen to honor the Stonewall riots which were demonstrations led by the gay community in Manhattan during 1969 that sparked a movement for gay rights and led to Pride Month.
Trinity Sunday, 6/7 is a Christian holy day, recognized on the first Sunday after Pentecost, that celebrates the Holy Trinity.
Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day or Juneteenth Independence Day commemorates the June 19th, 1865 ending of slavery in Texas.

July
The birthday of the 14th Dalai Lama, 7/6, is celebrated as he is recognized for his nonviolent work to free Tibet. He received the Novel Peace Prize in 1989.
Nelson Mandela fought to end apartheid in South Arica and in his honor, the United Nations declared July 18th as Nelson Mandela International Day.
On 7/26/1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act came into effect, demanding access and amenities in all public places for individuals with disabilities.
The Hajj, 7/29, is an expression of solidarity of the Muslim people. It is a five-day annual Islamic visit to Mecca, the holiest city for Muslims.

August
Feast of the Assumption: Roman Catholics celebrate the Virgin Mary, rising into Heaven with body and soul on 8/15.
Islamic New Year, 8/20.
Ganesh Chaturthi, 8/22 is the 10-day celebration of the god of prosperity and wisdom by Hindus.
Women's Equality Day, 8/26, commemorates the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, giving women the right to vote.

I am sure I have forgotten some important events that have taken place in history. I apologize for that and do not mean to exclude any important people or events.
However, as we continue to embrace diversity and welcome inclusion, I look forward to creating new diverse calendar events that we can all celebrate.

I had anticipated being visible on campus and having an open-door policy to my office. I had also planned on visiting the other three campuses and being available to all students to discuss any ideas, concerns, or questions related to diversity, equity, and inclusion topics. COVID has limited the physical presence, but I am still available virtually by appointment. Please feel free to email me anytime. I welcome the sharing of any idea that will improve our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) here at the University. If there are any concerns you may have that limit DEI, I would also like to hear about it. Change does not occur without awareness and voice.

Have a wonderful semester!

MaryAnn Perez-Brescia MSN, RN
Clinical Instructor, CEIN_BS
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Coordinator
The University of Connecticut, School of Nursing
Storrs & Waterbury Campus
Best way to contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>