I also agree it is unbelievable, but I do not think the solution lies
purely in the law catching up to people. There are some serious needs and
issues which lead an adoptive family to drop their children off with random
strangers. It is a drastic measure, and we would be wise to understand how
it happens. The Reuters folks are working on a follow-up on this story and
their reporter has been in touch with some Connecticut families who are in
a similar boat. Disrupted adoption is a tough topic. Child abuse and
abandonment are not acceptable under any circumstances, but I think the
stories are more complex than they appear. Childhood trauma is serious
business and I hope the day comes when every social worker is willing to
deal with the reality of that. Putting a rosy gloss and believing that all
problems are solved when we put a child with a good family is not helpful.
I hope this rehoming scandal leads to some meaningful discussion about the
effects of trauma on children, but also to a meaningful discussion about
the trauma of bringing a traumatized child into a previously healthy home.
It is not for the faint of heart.

--
Lisa M. Vincent
The Law Office of Lisa M. Vincent