I think it is important to consider the role that the lack of effective and readily available community based services, including respite and mental health services, has in contributing to the desperation families feel.

From: KidsCounsel ListServ [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Vincent
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [KIDSCOUNSEL-L] Reuters Investigative Report re: Rehoming

I also agree it is unbelievable, but I do not think the solution lies purely in the law catching up to people. There are some serious needs and issues which lead an adoptive family to drop their children off with random strangers. It is a drastic measure, and we would be wise to understand how it happens. The Reuters folks are working on a follow-up on this story and their reporter has been in touch with some Connecticut families who are in a similar boat. Disrupted adoption is a tough topic. Child abuse and abandonment are not acceptable under any circumstances, but I think the stories are more complex than they appear. Childhood trauma is serious business and I hope the day comes when every social worker is willing to deal with the reality of that. Putting a rosy gloss and believing that all problems are solved when we put a child with a good family is not helpful. I hope this rehoming scandal leads to some meaningful discussion about the effects of trauma on children, but also to a meaningful discussion about the trauma of bringing a traumatized child into a previously healthy home. It is not for the faint of heart.