Dear Colleagues,

Above all, UConn is an academic institution. But for the thousands of employees who make up our faculty and staff, it is also a workplace. The university believes that, as an institution, we must always work to ensure the environment we work in is a collegial and productive one.

Being true to this belief must be demonstrated through the commitment of all our employees each day across our campuses. Every individual is responsible for doing his or her part to make sure that mutual respect and collegiality are the hallmarks of every office and department at UConn.

The university works to maintain a positive workplace not only because it speaks to the kind of institution we strive to be, but also because it allows – and encourages – our faculty and staff to best serve our students, contribute to research and scholarship, and keep our promise to the state of Connecticut.

In September of 2012, in conjunction with the university-wide Civility Metanoia, I announced that a workplace climate survey of employees would be undertaken at UConn with the full support of the university.  Created by the Something’s Happening Committee, a grassroots effort on the Storrs campus working to maintain a respectful work environment at UConn, this survey was a proactive effort to understand the climate of our workplace.  The survey was sent to all employees via e-mail, and paper versions were made available to employees who do not typically use computers in the course of their work.

The committee has analyzed the survey data and written a report for the university community.  Part of this report includes a set of data-driven recommendations, to which the university has responded.  I write today to share that report, its related recommendations, and the university’s responses with the campus community.

Here is the link to the full document: www.respect.uconn.edu/survey_final_report

I urge you to take the time to review it and reflect upon its findings.

Three town hall-style discussions will be held in the coming days for those employees who wish to see a presentation on the report and discuss its contents. These discussions will take place in the Konover Auditorium in the Dodd Center:

Thursday, 12/12, 9-10am (Live stream: http://mediasite.dl.uconn.edu/Mediasite/Play/123aeeee645647dfafba6438fc52655f1d)

Wednesday, 12/18, 3:30-4:30pm (Live stream: http://mediasite.dl.uconn.edu/Mediasite/Play/b8479cd534df4581b6ee5626e45384ee1d)

Thursday, 12/19, 12-1pm (Will not be live streamed)

The live stream links will be archived for later viewing.

My thanks to everyone who participated in this process – whether as a survey participant or as a member of the committee – and to those working to ensure that UConn is a positive, collegial workplace for all.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst