Welcome new and returning students!

In anticipation of your trip to the University of Connecticut, ISSS would like to provide some information on what you can expect during your trip and upon your arrival in the United States.  While many students have traveled to the US before, for some of you this may be your first trip.  You may want to carry this email as a reference during your travels. The following information may help to ensure a smooth and hassle-free trip!

PRE-ARRIVAL

Before you leave for your trip, be sure that you have the following on your person (in your carry-on bag, NOT checked luggage):

1. Passport

2. Visa

3. I-20 (F-1 visa) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa)

4. Proof of SEVIS I-901 payment (receipt printed at time of payment)

5. Proof of funding

6. Admission letter (new students) OR enrollment verification (returning students)

7. Address of where you will stay (if you do not have an address yet, you may use the ISSS address)

8. Contact information for ISSS at UConn (email address, phone)

9. Travel plans from the port of entry to the UConn area

**Put copies of all your documents in your checked luggage

As you near the US, you will be given a customs declaration form.

On the customs declaration form, you must provide information found in your passport as well as your US address. Again, if you do not have a US address, you may use the ISSS office.  Be sure to print clearly!

Also on the form, you must declare the amount of money you are bringing with you IF it is $10,000 or more. Be sure to tell the truth!  There is no penalty for bringing this much money but it MUST be declared.

You must also include on the form the total value of any goods that you are bringing into the US.  You don’t have to be specific, you can use general terms (i.e. clothing, books, gifts). You can estimate the value of the items. You do not have to pay a duty fee on totals less than $1,000.

ARRIVAL

Upon arrival in the U.S., you will go through immigration and customs at your port of entry. Have your passport, visa, I-20, I-901 receipt, proof of funding, and admission letter ready to present to the officer at the immigration window.

The officer will look over your documents and may ask you questions about your plans.

Upon admitting you to the US, the officer will stamp your passport with an entry stamp.

IMPORTANT: Inspect the entry stamp immediately. It must have the following information on it:  “F-1, D/S” or “J-1, D/S”, depending on your visa type. If it does NOT say this or if it says something else, you should have it fixed before you leave. The notation “F-1, D/S” or “J-1, D/S” indicates your status in the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student who may stay for the duration of your status.

***It is possible that the first officer who you meet will not be able to verify your identity. If this happens, you may get sent to secondary inspection. Don’t panic! This is routine and the officer may simply need to verify your status or information with our office. It is a good idea to carry our phone number in case this happens.

After clearing the immigration area, you will pick up your checked baggage and give your customs declaration form to an officer on your way out.

Welcome to the U.S.!  Be sure to check in with ISSS!

CHECK IN:

All new students are required to check in at ISSS upon arrival. Returning students only need to bring copies of any updated documents to our office (e.g. I-94, visa renewals, passport renewals.)

There are two steps to checking in:

1. Attend mandatory orientation session.

*New Graduate degree students: Storrs campus: Orientation will be held on January 20 at 8:00am. You must register in advance at http://global.uconn.edu/graduate-student-orientation/

*New Undergraduate degree students, Storrs campus: http://orientation.uconn.edu/programs/international_program.html

*All other new students (Exchange Students, Law School students, MSW students and all others:  Check with your academic program for further information on your orientation schedule.

*Regional Campus students: If your program is at the downtown Hartford (GBLC), Greater Hartford, Stamford, Avery Point, Waterbury, Torrington or Law School campuses, you may not be required to check-in in person with ISSS at the Storrs campus. ISSS will contact you directly on how to meet the check in requirement at your campus.

2. Provide copies of your immigration documents to ISSS. You will need to provide the following:

- A copy of your passport biographical page

- A copy of your current visa

- A copy of your entry stamp

- A copy of your I-20 or DS-2019

- A printout of your online admission record.

IMPORTANT: paper I-94 cards are no longer being issued. Instead you will receive an entry stamp in your passport as mentioned above. You must then go online to print out your admission record and supply that to Immigration Services along with the rest of your immigration documents.

To print out a copy of your online admission record, go to this website: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html . You will be asked to enter information found in your passport.

For a detailed instructional video on retrieving your online admission record, please visit https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/jsp/CaptivateVideo.jsp

Please note:  you must appear in person to provide these check in documents. You may check in with ISSS during the following times, beginning on January 6:

Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am – 12pm

Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1pm – 4pm

http://global.uconn.edu/check-in-times-for-international-students/

***CHECK IN MUST BE COMPLETED BY JANUARY 27***

International Student and Scholar Services(ISSS)

Office of Global Affairs

University of Connecticut

2011 Hillside Road, Unit 1083

Storrs, CT 06269-1083