Bridgeport Failed to Identify Students in Need of Special Education
WNPR, January 27, 2014

State education officials have ordered Bridgeport schools to take corrective action after finding officials had failed to identify students eligible for special education services. The state Department of Education began investigating after the Center for Children’s Advocacy filed a complaint in October.

Read more here: http://goo.gl/TtiDqt

State rules against city in special education case
Connecticut Post, January 27, 2014

The city school district systematically failed to identify a number of students determined to be eligible for special education and must take corrective action, the state Department of Education has determined. In response to an October 2013 complaint filed by the Center for Children’s Advocacy against the district, the state conducted an investigation and determined that the district violated its obligations to students under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and state law.

Read more here: http://goo.gl/8T4t44

Connecticut study aims to track ‘invisible’ alternative schools
New Haven Register, January 25, 2014

When Jessica Rivera’s teenage son begged her to allow him to drop out of high school and enroll in an adult education program, it broke her heart.

“My son was coming home for two weeks begging me to go to adult ed,” Rivera said. “We would get into a verbal argument. I said you’re not going to adult ed, over my dead body, that is a setup, that is a double drop out, that’s for you to fail. I’m not allowing that.”

Jesus Valle, 17, a former student at New Horizons School, said he received no support for his coursework while at New Horizons. Instead, Valle said staff would show him his transcript, and that he was failing, and he had only three credits.

Read more here: http://goo.gl/xbSdJk

State: Bridgeport “systematically” violated special education laws
The CT Mirror, January 24, 2014

State investigators have concluded that the state’s largest public school system “systemically violated” state laws created to ensure students with special education needs are promptly identified and provided services.

“It is concluded that, over the last year, the Bridgeport Public Schools systemically violated its Child Find mandate,” Mary Jean Schierberl, with the state Department of Education’s Bureau of Special Education, wrote the district's special education director this month.

Read more here: http://goo.gl/aIQzi4

[cid:[log in to unmask]]