FYI - to the GIS staff at municipalities......

From: Bolton, Jeffrey
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 12:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Local School Construction Grant Program

Hello CT Planners:

I am reaching out to the CT Planning Community because some of you also serve as your community's Floodplain Administrator and your planning department maybe involved with local school projects.

As some of you may know, there is a local school construction grant program where the state funds a certain portion of the total project cost for renovations or new schools.  There have been some issues over the years where new schools or additions have been proposed within floodplains, including the 500-year floodplain.  In an effort to avoid project delays and increases in design and construction costs, we have significantly revised our guidance material, website, and processes to avoid such issues.

As part of the revised process, we are recommending to the local school project team to coordinate with the municipal planning department and specifically the Community's Floodplain Administrator early in the project initiation phase, especially when new sites are being vetted.  So, if your community is proposing now or in the future an addition or a new school, it is highly recommended that you review the new material and resources.

In addition, with approximately 118 existing public schools located within or adjacent to floodplains, there may be opportunities to identify long-term mitigation/adaptation strategies for school facilities through the community's Plan of Conservation and Development.

Here are the relevant links:

*         Site Analysis and Environmental Planning<http://www.ct.gov/dcs/cwp/view.asp?a=4217&Q=533270&PM=1>

*         Flood Management Certification Process<http://www.ct.gov/dcs/lib/dcs/bsf/supplements/dcs_osf_flood_management_certification_process_03062014.pdf>

*         Flood Management Certification Notice<http://www.ct.gov/dcs/lib/dcs/bsf/supplements/dcs_osf_flood_management_certification_notice_03062014.pdf>

If anyone had questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff Bolton, Supervising Environmental Analyst
Connecticut Division of Construction Services
165 Capitol Avenue, Room 482, Hartford, CT 06106
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> || www.ct.gov/dcs<http://www.ct.gov/dcs>
860-713-5706 (office) || 860-655-0477 (cell)

This list (CTGIS-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all CT GIS
Users.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove
yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/ctgis-l.html