Hello everyone,
Thank you everyone for stepping up. I've received a lot of good advice.
Sean and Andrew -- I got this error: 010067: Error in executing grid expression. Description: There was a problem executing the map algebra expression.
Peggy -- I had already done a symbology map, and it looked good, but we thought a heat map would be better.
Zach -- Yes, the data was exported to an equidistant projection.
Ryan -- Thank you for introducing me to this program.  I'm definitely interested in looking further into Crimestat.

Jarlath -- I will look further into Open Heat Map also.  I looked at the video, and I think I may be able to do some neat things with it.
Ted -- The Empirical Bayesian kriging funtion seemed to work rather well. I got an interesting raster out of it.
Josh -- The Inverse Distance Weight seemed to give me the results most closely to what I was looking for. I only wish that I could get it to extend beyond the extents of the input point layer; the outer corners of the county are clipped off. Otherwise it looks great.
I'm going to look into some of the other tools that have been suggested as well. I should get some really neat maps out of them.  Thanks again everyone for all your help.
Phil Pierdomenico
GIS Analyst, Philabundance