To piggyback on Meghan’s comment, make sure you have all the associated files you need for a working shapefile. At a minimum you need the following for each shapefile:

.SHP – contains the geometry or spatial information

.DBF – contains the attribute data

.SHX – Index used to link the SHP and DBF files

There may be additional files as well depending on how you have used the shapefile in the past, if you assigned it a projection and/or created metadata for them.

.PRJ – stores the assigned coordinate system data for a Shapefile

.XML – Metadata for a shapefile if someone actually took the time to create it

.SBN and .SBX – Spatial indexes for the shapefile. I have had these get corrupted and had to delete them. ArcGIS will generally automatically recreate these after they are deleted if they are needed.

.AIN & .AIH – Created when you join or relate a table to a shapefile. ArcGIS will automatically recreate these if needed and they are missing. These also get corrupted from time to time.

There are other files that get created when you use shapefiles but these are some of the most common. As long as you have the three required files and they have not been corrupted, you should be able to use the shapefile. Esri has a utility at one time that would repair some damaged shapefiles. I have not used it in a long time and don’t remember what it was called.

eGIS Associates, Inc.

[log in to unmask] | www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax

Esri Certified Trainer | Esri Certified Desktop Associate