Just a general comment on non-representative sample.  Years ago and Old
Professor said a good start if you want to know what fish are in a pond is
to throw out a big net and look at a lot of fish.  While any estimates of
the proportions of different types will be flawed, you may learn enough to
serve your purpose and help design a more sophisticated survey.  Some
questions about what kind of people favor what kind of test questions
 could in some degree be answered by a self selected sample.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Rueben Ternes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> While I agree with the sentiment that our comments were unhelpful (my
> comment was especially a bit snarky), I disagree that this is not the
> appropriate place to have these conversations.  In fact, I think this is as
> perfect venue to have serious discussions about the validity of
> self-reported data from convenience sampling!  It is a methods list serve,
> after all.
>
> Though I snarked about it, in general, I think convenience sampling gets a
> bad rap.  Especially Mechanical Turks, which have been overly scrutinized
> in some settings.  I'd like to note that some studies do suggest that
> Mechanical Turks are broadly representative of generalized random sampling.
>  In fact, they may be more representative of a general population than say,
> college students, from which a great deal of psychology draws its
> participant pool.  To be certain, they are not perfect, but the idea that
> we can obtain true random sampling is pretty much bunk anyway. How many
> researchers can force participants to answer their surveys?  To the best of
> my knowledge: almost none.  In some ways, all samples are convenience
> samples to some degree.  I think it's near sighted to suggest that we
> cannot draw valuable information from such studies.
>
> Now, whether or not it's appropriate to send to a specific list serve
> dominated by highly-educated research methodologists is another question
> altogether.  But that could certainly be a valid population of interest.
>  And, to be fair, we have no way of telling whether or not the researcher
> is tracking our responses in that manner.  Certainly comparing the
> about educational testing systems could provide valuable insight.
>
> Just my two cents!
>
> -Reuben
>

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Barbara Helms <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I do feel that this is not the place for you to comment.  If you find
>> issues with this "invitation to volunteers", (1) don't volunteer and (2)
>> send an email to the author (who has included her personal email address).
>> Do not send them on the listserve. This is not the venue -- especially when
>> making unhelpful jibes.
>>
>> Barbara J. Helms, Ph.D.
>> Email: [log in to unmask]
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Elaine Fitt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a self-selected survey and the results do not necessarily
>>> reflect the population.  I would certainly not trust any conclusions drawn
>>> based on this study.
>>>

>>> *Elaine B. Fitt  Ph.D.*
>>>

>>> *Elaine B. Fitt  LLC*
>>>
>>> *Phone:  215 913 4379 <215%20913%204379>*
>>>
>>> *Email:  [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*
>>>

>>> This message, including any attachments, may contain confidential
>>> information intended for a specific individual and purpose and is protected
>>> by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it. Any
>>> disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
> [...]

Wm W. Pendleton
Professor Emeritus Emory University
3 Breakers Ct.
Salem, SC 29676

Tel. 864 944-2238

Educational Research and Methodology Listserv