Perhaps the person collecting the data is a student learning about how to
design measurement instruments, or piloting a measurement instrument. It's
hard to learn how to do this, or to test it, without doing it, and going to
the effort and expense of getting a random sample to find that the
questionnaire was flawed would be a waste of time and resources. Might as
well try it out on a group that's easy to get hold of, and iron out the
flaws that way. I encourage my students to use their Facebook friends as
samples, because you can tell them that designing surveys is hard until
you're blue in the face - they never really get that it's hard until they
do it, and then try to analyze their results.

Jeremy