Dear all,

Please join us for Dan's defense. This is the last scheduled talk for the semester.
Details below.

Best,

Iddo.

Title: Geometric methods in analysis on fractals

Speaker: Daniel Kelleher (UCONN)

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:00 pm
MSB 109A

Abstract: Analysis on fractals revolves around the development of a harmonic
structure on the fractal. Harmonic structures describe the Dirichlet form on these
spaces, which is equivalent to a self-adjoint operator analogous to the classical
Laplacian, and is also equivalent to a diffusion process on the space. I will
include a brief discussion about results concerning the construction of harmonic
structures on p.c.f. fractals, and determining the properties of this structure,
such as calculating the spectrum of the Laplacian operator. I will then discuss
results pertaining to the relationship between p.c.f. self-similar structures and
self-similar groups, and how these groups of automorphisms of rooted trees
generate fractals and help in their analysis. When lifting the p.c.f. assumption,
analysis on these spaces becomes much harder, and few examples are know. I
will talk about some results about the construction of a harmonic structure on
the non-p.c.f. hexacarpet. Finally, if time permits, I will talk about applications
to neurobiology.