Good morning everyone,

I have a some questions about datum / projections when using SQL Server and GIS together with ArcGIS Server and ArcSDE.

I am part of a dev team developing a new database for my program. We are at the point where we are looking into how we will connect our SQL database (which we are currently building to house program data) and our GIS data. I know we will be hosting the data off site and as I understand it, that means we will need ArcGIS for Server on that off-site server in order to access the data here from our office. I also believe that once we have ArcSDE in place we can register our geodatabases with SQL Server and we will then be able to view, query, and edit the data in both programs. Is this correct?

Our dev team leader seems to think that the spatial aspects of the data we have in SQL (geometry and geog) needs to be in WGS84, while most of our basemap and background data is in the Mass Mainland State Plan system (some of this data was developed by our program and some is obtained from Mass GIS).

My question is, can our program data stored in the SQL database be in WGS84 while our basemap and other misc data is in the State Plan System? ArcMap will still project on the fly, correct? Will this affect spatial queries and the like? Does the data in the SQL database HAVE to be in WGS84?

I'm new to ArcGIS Server and SDE/SQL so please feel free to ask any follow up questions and share insight, thanks!

Kind regards,

Michael Lachance
Plant Protection Technician
ALB Eradication Program USDA APHIS
151 West Boylston Drive
Worcester, MA 01606
508.852.8050 (o)
508.414.5673 (c)
The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Federal Relay Service (Voice/TTY/ASCII/Spanish) 1-800-877-8339

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/nearc-l.html.