From: Unmoderated discussion list for Connecticut GIS Users [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of DeRosia-Banick, Kristin [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CTGIS-L] Sharing geographic data for legal description of deeds?

Hi all,

I need some help from a municipal GIS person familiar with Town Records.  I apologize in advance if I am not asking the right question or using the correct terminology.   I work on the water and come at my GIS from the environmental side of things, but I am working on a project that involves the creation of legal descriptions for property records, but these would be associated with underwater grounds rather than a land-based property record.   Historically these would have been stored in the land records as a legal description of a deed, but are now being transferred and we need a way to share and document the transfer of these grounds.

Is there an industry standard in terms of file type that I can use to share this data?  I have created shapefiles that document the area as polygons and a point layer for the corners that has fields for the lat and long of each of the corners associated with the grounds.  I have exported the attribute tables into an Excel file, that has all of the coordinates for the corners and acreage for the grounds.

Of course, I sent these files off and the legal entities cannot open the shapefiles because they do not use GIS, but should I send these as geotiffs or something like that?  What format should I convert the geographic info into to document the location of the grounds?  Is there an industry standard file type for sharing geographic data associated with land records?

Thank you!

Kristin DeRosia-Banick
Environmental Analyst II
State of Connecticut Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Aquaculture

Office:  203.874.0696 ext 112
Cell:      203.209.4023
Fax:     203.782.9976

Email:  [log in to unmask]
www.ctgrown.gov/Aquaculture
This list (CTGIS-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all CT GIS
Users.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove
yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/ctgis-l.html