Hello Listservs:

I am a GIS technician for an anti-hunger nonprofit in Philadelphia.  My primary responsibilities involve gathering data (mostly Census; TIGER and FactFinder) and making paper maps of demographic trends in our service territory.  I use ArcMap version 10.2 to do this (we do not have an ArcGIS online subscription), and I am also somewhat familiar with QGIS.  My department and I have been exploring the possibility of creating a web map of our service territory.  We are envisioning something along the lines of a basemap (Google, Bing, OpenStreetMap...) overlaid with a choropleth layer of poverty data, most likely at the census tract level, where people can access the map, zoom in and pan, etc.  I am highly experienced at creating static paper maps, but I have no idea where to begin as far as putting something online.  I would like at some point in the not-too-distant future to take some continuing education classes to supplement my skills, but if there's a way to get the ball rolling on this before that becomes feasible, that would be great.  Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc, that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone for your time.

Phil Pierdomenico
GIS and Data Analysis
Philabundance