Dear International Students & Scholars:

Welcome (back) to UConn!

ISSS has received several reports on recent IRS email scams.  If you receive any message claiming from IRS, please do NOT reply, open any attachments (most likely it is W-8BEN), or click on any links in the message.

IRS provided the following instructions:

What do I do if I receive such a scam form via email, fax, mail, or other format?

1.     Do not reply.

2.     Do not open any attachments.
Attachments may contain malicious code that will infect your computer.

3.     Do not click on any links.
If you clicked on links in a suspicious email or phishing website and entered confidential information, visit our identity protection page.

4.     Forward the email as-is, to us at [log in to unmask].

5.     After you forward the email and/or header information to us, delete the original email message you received.

For more information, please go to http://www.irs.gov/uac/Fake-Form-W-8BEN-Used-in-IRS-Tax-Scams.  If you receive such a scam, please also simply report to ISSS (DO NOT forward the scam email) at [log in to unmask] so that we will know how many of you received it.

NOTE: Some of you may have recently received a notice regarding the non-resident tax withholding for your GAship positions from UConn Graduate School at [log in to unmask].  This notice from the Graduate School is not a scam and you need to pay attention.

Thanks and happy Fall 2014!

Best,

Mihwa

Mihwa Lee

Director

International Student and Scholar Services(ISSS)

Office of Global Affairs

University of Connecticut

2011 Hillside Rd., U-1083

Storrs, CT 06269-1083

Phone: 860-486-3855

Fax: 860-486-5800

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: http://www.isss.uconn.edu

ISSS Summer Office Hours (5/12/2014-8/15/2014):

Monday-Friday  9:00am-12:00pm & 1:00-4:00pm EST (12:00-1:00pm EST closed)

P   Please consider the environment before printing my email.