Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:24:54 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Best practices for tabular data?
To: [log in to unmask]

I’ve not used File Maker for GIS, but for other applications.

As Bob notes, .dbf is the best, and I often do the following:

Create statistics in Excel, which is good for doing heavy lift calculations – though ESRI has expanded its capacities significantly in this regard.

Then I often import all the columns of calculated statistics that I need into Access. The reason is that as a database-native format, it seems to work better than Excel to ArcGIS. I suspect the Microsoft .xls format has a lot of background data that isn’t always easy to read in directly to ArcGIS as a .dbf without an intermediary.

Finally, because ESRI uses .dbf natively, I export to .dbf from access.

I know this is not so easy, but I find it’s a solid way to keep what you originally intended intact and with the data as you want it. It’s also a good way to review the data prior to importing it to ArcGIS so that you can see any data that isn’t a match has a form of staging table from which to review it. From a personal perspective, it helps me review my work.

Best

Rich