Living in a new culture has its daily challenges, especially when it comes to greeting and addressing people who are older than you or who teach you. We all want to be polite, say the right thing and fit into our new environment.

We do not want to make a mistake when we speak, especially when we are addressing our elders, teachers or coaches. How often do you hesitate before addressing a professor, either in the classroom, the hallway or in private office hours?  How often do you wonder:  What should I call him or her? Is it Dr. Jeanie or James Bond, Professor Bond, Mrs. Bond, Ms. Bond or Teacher Bond or Jeanie or James?  Incidentally, coaches like to be called "Coach" anything other than that title creates tension.

The rules of engagement can be confusing about how to properly address people. Many people feel uncomfortable asking the question, "What should I call you?" but this is the only way to get the name straight.

In university settings, the professor will usually tell you at the beginning of the class: how he or she wishes to be addressed,  such as:  Doctor or Professor Bond.  This title is a sign of respect.  Whatever you do, don't call her or him  "Teacher Bond", it sounds like you don't know much about your teacher's name.  Do you want to be called "Student X"?

With regard to instructors or teaching assistants, you usually call them Miss or Mister unless you are notified otherwise.  This also holds true for the support staff such as:  office administrators and secretaries.   They also deserve respect. It is usually very wise to ask them when you meet for the first time: how may I address you? This can go a long way in having a harmonious relationship with your department.

Generally speaking, people of the same age or status in society, such as college students, call each other by their first name.  Some people like to be called by their nickname, such as:  Art, Bill, Bob or Max.

Addressing  people goes beyond the university setting, particularly when you eat at a restaurant or travel by plane.  If you need the waitress or waiter or flight attendant's attention, you do not call out: "Hey, Waiter or Hey Waitress", or "Hey Flight attendant".  You should always say:  "Excuse me, sir or excuse me ma'am, I need your assistance."

When in doubt always ask someone: What should I call you?  They will never be upset that you asked.

Bob Chudy