Do you know the answers to the following questions?

     Do I have to respond to every email and text?

A business client is sick with a cold—am I obliged to shake his hand?

When is it okay to “unfriend” someone on Facebook?

If I’m in the middle seat of an airplane row, do I automatically get both armrests?

Is it wrong for the bride and groom to tweet at their own wedding?

Do I have to bring a gift to my friend’s engagement party?

These are some of the questions that the 18th edition of “Emily Post’s Etiquette” book answers along with today’s toughest etiquette questions on topics ranging from everyday manners and life in the workplace to life stages and weddings.

In 1922, Elizabeth L. Post, published her book on “Etiquette” which quickly became the book on “doing the right thing”.  The book contains everything you need to know for every occasion:  handshakes, dating, engagements, weddings, dinner parties, entertaining at home, business and office etiquette, funerals, restaurant dining, telephone etiquette, courteous drivers, how to serve and drink wine and how to dress for every occasion.

Basically, the book set the standards for proper living in the United States.  The book is constantly being updated to reflect the changes that are occurring in American culture. New sections are being created to reflect the use of the cell phone and other electronic items in public places. The book, Emily Post’s Etiquette, has been reprinted over a 100 times.  In essence, the book introduces you to the unspoken language of successful social interactions in the United States.

In her book, “The Emily Post Book of Etiquette For Young People”, she provided clear instructions to American parents on the proper way to respond to every situation that young people could encounter, such as:  how to sit at the table, how to hold a glass, what to say and when to say it, what side of the plate should the fork, knife and spoon be placed, etc.   In addition, she discusses the proper etiquette of bringing a small gift to the host as a small token of appreciation.  Small gifts could come in the form of flowers or fruit basket or a bottle of wine or a box of chocolate or something small from your country.

This is a signal to the host that you are thanking them in advance for the invitation and you appreciate the kindness you are receiving.  It does not end there, (that is presenting a small gift when you arrive) it is always proper to write a thank you note to acknowledge a dinner or if you received a special gift on any occasion such as:  a birthday or graduation. This means so much for the person receiving this note and is truly appreciated because you took the time to write or buy a special card to thank them.

Apparently, emailing a thank you note is a border line acknowledgement.  A thank you thru the mail is the preferable way to acknowledge someone.  All too often people just take things for granted and assume that I do not need to thank anyone for anything.

If you want to know more about American  etiquette and  the “ proper way to do “ things , you should read  the book  “Emily Post’s Etiquette” or go to the following web site  http://www.etiquettedaily.com/ to gain valuable insights into American life.

Bob Chudy