I’d like to deploy about a dozen tablet units with Collector when 10.3 comes out and Portal is available to us, but I have a few questions for any of you that have some knowledge or experience.

When you sync with Collector with a tablet, as far as connecting to the network, how is that done typically? Our IT would not want us to use the WiFi connection. With an Android tablet, I guess you’d just use USB, but with an iPad, you would use that lightning connector with an adaptor?

Also, what are the security concerns with connecting a device from the outside like this into the network, and what have people done to ameliorate them? Our IT generally doesn’t like the idea of USB devices being plugged into the system.

I’m unfamiliar with this because we have been waiting for Portal for Server Standard to come out and we will be using Collector in a disconnected environment, at least for the near future. All comments are welcomed.

Thank You,

Nicholas A. McNamara, GISP

GIS Coordinator

South Norwalk Electric and Water