Or you could have a field work copy of your GDB and only the feature class they are supposed to edit gets imported back into your "real" geodatabase and it wouldn't really matter if they edited something else by accident because you wouldn't move those layers back. It would be an extra step and you'd be managing 2 geodatabases but it might give you a temporary work around.
Or does that defeat the purpose?
Meg

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2014, at 3:54 PM, "Scott Sharlow" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

True.  You would have to configure offline DB in locally on the device which may be overly complex.  Unfortunately I don’t drink the latest ESRI cool aid too quick so I don’t have experience with Collector/Portal.  That being said, what I am proposing is that you split the geometry and the data, and provide a means to update the data separately from the geometry.  Could even be a form with drop down for the feature (to link/join back to the geometry when it’s online).  Was at NEARC and one of the UCONN folks spoke of an offline form and I know of others that are doing offline forms.  Would be nice not having to go down this road.

Scott Sharlow
Information Systems Director
Town of Bloomfield, CT
800 Bloomfield Avenue
Bloomfield, CT  06002
860-769-3539

From: Unmoderated discussion list for Connecticut GIS Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nicholas McNamara
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [CTGIS-L] Collector Offline Users

Scott,

Then you could not sync it in Collector, and even if I created another app to get feedback or just have them send me paper, having no editable layers would prevent the use of Collector altogether.

Really, I just want them to have one editable layer for redlining stuff and I’ll take a look at that and edit the GIS data. You need at least one editable layer to use Collector, and if you are using it with ArcGIS Online, you can make some of the layers read only. But if you are using Portal and Collector in a disconnected state, you have to make all of the layers editable, so Esri tells me.

Nicholas A. McNamara, GISP
GIS Coordinator
South Norwalk Electric and Water
Phone: (203) 866-4446 ext. 2035