Do you really know the parking rules and regulations at the University of Connecticut?  Are you aware of the violation fees if you park in a handicap zone or park in restricted 24/7 area? The omnipresent parking officials, not the police department, are patrolling the parking lots looking for violators.

Recently, one of our staff members received a parking ticket because she allegedly parked too long (exceeded the 30 minute limit) in a loading zone.  When she saw she was getting a ticket, she raced down the stairs like an Olympian track runner, running the 100 meter high hurdles and met the officer as he planted the orange ticket on her windshield. She tried in vain to negotiate but the enforcement person gave her the standard line:  "I am sorry, I cannot help you. You violated the parking regulations". Steam was pouring out of her head like Mount Vesuvius as she tried to negotiate. The parking official who issued the ticket refused to listen or discuss the ticket. He only cited the regulation and told her that she could appeal the $30 parking ticket. Here are the rules governing parking at UConn:

All vehicles parked on UCONN surface parking lots must display a valid University parking permit during the hours posted (typically, 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday). Permits are available at the Parking Services office. Temporary parking accommodations can be arranged for special events, projects and situations; such arrangement should be made directly with Parking Services.  All valid parking capacity is clearly posted.  Check the parking signs to confirm your permit authorizes parking within an area before you leave your vehicle.  The absence of signs in an area does not indicate that parking is authorized.  If an area is unmarked, you should assume that you cannot park there.  Inclement weather or running late for a meeting are not valid reasons to appeal a parking citation.  You must park only in spaces associated with your permit type.  Do not park in reserved or handicap parking spaces without the valid University permit; your vehicle may be ticketed ($150) or towed.  Vehicles stopped, attended or unattended, at bus stops, within fire lanes, in no-parking areas, or in a manner that blocks loading zones will be ticketed.  The University's parking regulations are enforced 24 hours per day, seven days per week throughout the calendar year

Parking Citations
Citations must be paid or appealed within 14 calendar days of their issuance; late fees are assessed for delinquent payments.  The owner of cited vehicle are financial responsible for citations and any related late and collection agency charges.

So, there was an option outside of paying a $30 ticket. You would have to write a letter to Parking Services explaining the situation and hope that they would rescind the ticket. If you get a parking ticket, you should always try to appeal the decision.

Sample parking appeal letter
Dear Parking Services,
I wish to appeal the recent parking ticket that I received on the morning of Friday the 17th and I would like to explain what happened.  I arrived late to campus, after being stopped by two construction sites on my way in. My usual parking spot was taken and I made the (poor) decision to park in a space that technically used to be a parking space that now has the back line blacked over.  I had hoped that with the cars parked on the grass (rabbit territory) in the dirt lot on Hillside where I normally park that I wouldn't be noticed and I have seen many others parked in the same spot without tickets.
This is my first parking citation since arriving in America and I guess my question is that if I promise to never do it again, can this be waived? I have never driven a car before I came to the U.S. and I have only been driving for a few months. Any break on the parking citation would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
A parking ticket is not an arrest, but if you do not pay the parking ticket it goes on your university record as a failure to pay a fee which would probably block a graduation or a request for official transcripts.

Any tickets issued to a UConn student not paid within 14 calendar days of issuance will be posted to their PeopleSoft account and are payable to the Bursars Office.  For more information regarding making a payment to the Bursars Office, call 860-486-4830 or www.bursar.uconn.edu<http://www.bursar.uconn.edu>.

Any unpaid tickets issued to a non-UConn student will be billed to the University of Connecticut permit holder or to the registered owner of the vehicle. If registered owner information is unknown to Parking Services, the license plate will be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles.  A late fee and service charge will be assessed accordingly.

Here is a list of Common Citations Violations and Fines

  *   33 Expired Meter -                                                 $25.00
  *   34 Improper Display of Permit/Decal -                   $25.00
  *   40 Violation of Posted Sign -                                  $30.00
  *   41 Load Zone Violation -                                        $30.00
  *   42 Double Parked/More Than One Space -              $30.00
  *   43 In Service Roads -                                            $30.00
  *   44 No University Permit/Decal -                              $30.00
  *   45 Other -                                                              $30.00
  *   46 No Parking Area -                                              $30.00
  *   47 Out of Marked Space -                                       $30.00
  *   48 In or Blocking Lot Aisle/Entrance -                     $30.00
  *   49 In an Unassigned Area -                                    $30.00
  *   50 On a Sidewalk, Lawn, Unpaved Area -               $50.00
  *   51 Using a Forged, Altered, Spurious Decal -         $50.00
  *   52 In a Bus Stop -                                                  $50.00
  *   53 In a Reserved Space -                                       $50.00
  *   54 Blocking Entrance/Exit to Building -                  $50.00
  *   55 In a Fire Lane -                                                  $50.00
  *   57 Within 10 Feet of a Fire Hydrant -                     $50.00
  *   58 Parking Permit Revoked -                                  $50.00
  *   70 In a Handicap Space -                                       $150.00
Tows
Those who accumulate five or more outstanding citations or accumulate more than $150 in unpaid fines may have their vehicle towed.  If you believe that your vehicle may have been towed from campus, please call the UConn Police Department for additional information.

UConn's complete Traffic and Parking Rules and Regulations are available online<http://park.uconn.edu/files/parkregs2011web.pdf>.  Please visit the Parking & Transportation Services website<http://park.uconn.edu/index.php> for additional information.

Please drive carefully and be cognizant of the parking rules and regulations.

Bob Chudy