Chowder Days – Columbus Day Weekend – Mystic Seaport – Mystic – October 11 – 13 – 11:30am – 5:00pm   Nothing is better than a hot bowl of chowder on a cool autumn day and Chowder Days at Mystic Seaport is just the place to indulge. Our ŕ la carte menu is sure to satisfy all appetites and features a variety of dishes, including a selection of chowders and bisques, clam fritters, barbecue pulled pork, bratwurst and sauerkraut, grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, and apple fritters. Beer, wine and cocktails will also be available for purchase. The weekend’s family-fun festivities include live music, horse and carriage rides, games on the Village Green, scarecrow activities, face painting, and crafts. Explore exhibits, take a final ride of the season aboard steamboat Sabino, and see the stars of the autumn sky inside the Treworgy Planetarium. Climb aboard the newly restored Charles W. Morgan, now back at her berth at Chubb’s Wharf after her 38th Voyage. Enjoy Columbus Day Weekend at Mystic Seaport! http://www.mysticseaport.org/event/chowder-days-2/

10th  Annual Connecticut Garlic & Harvest Festival. – Bethlehem -  Bethlehem Fairgrounds – Route 61 - October 11-12 – 10:00am – 5:00pm  Visit our garlic cooking demonstrations, stay for a live band performance, and learn how to grow garlic at our informative lectures. Many garlic dips, spreads, cheeses, and oils will be available for purchase from our diverse garlic specialty food vendors – most offering FREE samples to try before you buy! Stop by our produce stands for fresh garlic and a variety of other fall produce. When you’re hungry, venture over to our food court.  Homemade roasted garlic sausage with peppers and onions, garlic marinated steak sandwiches, garlic roast pork sandwiches, deep fried garlic, and garlic ice cream are just some of the items you’ll find at our food court! Bring the kids for some fun with our rides and games!  http://www.garlicfestct.com/

12th Annual Celebration of Latin American cultures – Fiesta  Latina! – Yale – Peabody Museum – New Haven – October 11 – 10:00am – 4:00pm Free   Join us for our 12th annual celebration of Latin American cultures! We’ll enjoy performances of traditional and contemporary Latin American music and dance, along with games, a fossil dig, live animals, crafts, face painting, and other activities for the whole family. Sponsored by/ Patrocinado por: UNIVISION, PIER and the Council for Latin American & Iberian Studies at Yale, with funding from a Title VI grant the U.S. Department of Education and the Yale Latino Network Group. Schedule  http://peabody.yale.edu/events/fiesta-latina

Khumarivan  -  Pakistani Music -  Palmer Auditorium – Connecticut College – New London – October 11 - 8:00pm   With its propulsive, furious sound, instrumental quartet Khumariyaan, “The Intoxicators,” has reawakened the live music scene in Peshawar, Pakistan, the ancient crossroads through the Khyber Pass whose contemporary culture is under attack from within and by outside factions. The lute-like rubab intertwines with the zerbaghali (goblet drum) and Pushtoon sitar. Add in acoustic guitars and Khumariyaan’s rolling pulse builds to frenzied intensity.  It’s an addictive and accessible pleasure that’s ushering in a new era for eclipsed music. The presentation of Khumariyaan is part of Center Stage, a public-private cultural exchange by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and produced by the New England Foundation for the Arts (NEFA) in cooperation with the U.S. Regional Arts Organizations, with additional support from the Robert Sterling Clark Foundation and the Asian Cultural Council. General Management for Center Stage is provided by Lisa Booth Management, Inc. http://www.conncoll.edu/events/concerts/index.cfm

9th Annual Groton Fall Festival – Poquonnock Plains Park – Groton - October 11 – 10:00am – 4:00pm (rain or shine) The festival will offer a variety of entertainment. Featured will be children’s entertainer, Emmy-nominated Steve Elci and Friends; guitarist Lou Manzi, “Mr. Lou, the roving Music Man, children’s entertainer”; and dance performances by Dancer’s Ink.  Groton’s Fire Departments will celebrate Fire Prevention Week 2014 with special displays, exhibits, and vehicles.  Whittle’s Willow Spring Farm will be providing farm fresh products such as pumpkins and apples. They will also be featuring face painting and pumpkin painting for the kids. Food vendors will offer a variety of food and drink.
Roxy radio will broadcast live from the festival site from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The main Festival site at Poquonnock Plains Park will feature artists and crafters, displaying their skill and wares for display and purchase. Local businesses and organizations will have exhibits.  http://www.grotonbiz.com

The 26th Annual Scotland Highland Festival – Edward Waldo Homestead – Scotland -  October 12 – 9:00am – 5:00pm.   Bagpiping, drumming, dancing and athletic competitions; Clan village, vendors with Scottish food and wares! Sheep herding and animals of Scottish heritage.  Parade of the bands and welcoming ceremony at 12:00 noon. Special entertainment is folk music, harp circle, Celtic bands, story tellers and more! NO PETS ALLOWED. Free shuttle bus service with   offsite parking. Tickets: Adults $15; Seniors (65+) $10; Students with ID $10; Children (6 to 12) $5; Children(5- with paying adult) http://www.scotlandgam

Chowda  Festival New England's Best Chowder & Soup Competition  Calf Pasture Beach – Norwalk – October 12 – 12:00noon – 4:00pm  Chowdafest is a culinary competition pitting award winning chefs & restaurants against each other where YOU are the judge! When you arrive, you get a pencil, ballot and spoon. Then slurp down 36 decadent samples of chowder, soup and bisque!  It's up to you to determine who has the best!  Try our Italian section called "Ciao-dafest" or our new Chowda-Mex section.  Sample craft beer, award winning wine & cheese, premium ice cream and much more - all included in your ticket. Chowdafest has moved outdoors to Norwalk CT - the Chowder Capital of CT!  It will be held outdoors at the idyllic Calf Pasture Beach which is exit #16 off I-95.  Chowdafest remains one of the best deals around.  Save $5, compliments of Stop & Shop, when you buy your ticket on-line for just $10 (adults). $15 at the door, $5 kids (6-12) and kids 5 and under are FREE.  Kids receive FREE chef hats, stickers and more while supplies last.  Chowdafest will be held rain or shine.  Parking is just $5 (Free if you have a resident pass).  Think green and car pool. http://www.chowdafest.org/

Haunted Graveyard  - Where the Thrills Never Dies - Lake Compouce Amusement Park - Bristol – October 10 – 12 – 5:00pm - 12:00 mid night  Lake Compounce is the oldest, continuously-operating amusement park in North America, having its genesis more than 165 years ago in 1846! The park has invested millions in rides and attractions during the recent years, and today is more beautiful than ever. Among other famous attractions, Lake Compounce is home to Boulder Dash, which has been voted the world’s #1 wooden roller coaster, as well as Connecticut’s largest water park. During the Halloween season, the park becomes a haunted park.  Check out the following web site for more details about the Haunted Graveyard experience. http://www.hauntedgraveyard.com/fees.htm

Scantic Valley – Corn Maze – Somers – October 1 – October 26  Our family farm also hosts one of the area’s largest corn mazes on weekends in September and October with harvest fair fun including pick-your-own pumpkins and hay rides. Our farm is easy to get to, only minutes off of I-91 in Somers. Please explore our site and you can contact us for direct-from-the-farm meat sales. Our Giant Corn Maze encompasses 8 acres and 3 miles of trails. Download/View our Maze Rules Here We also offer a Kiddie Maze, Barnyard viewing area, and plenty of wholesome fun activities in the “OK Corral”- our play area for kids. The Marketplace and General Store are a perfect place to stock-up on kinds of fall decorations as well as our “Limited Edition” Corn Maze T-Shirts. We offer many CT Grown products including our jam, syrup, and especially our very own farm raised meats. Our freezer is stocked with tempting cuts of steak, roasts, sausage and more! Take some home for grilling tonight. Complete your visit with a relaxing hay ride while enjoying our scenic valley with your family and friends. Scantic Valley Farm is surely a place where your family traditions will be made. http://scanticvalleyfarm.com/

“Fungus Festival” - The Coventry Regional Farmers’ Market  -  Nathan Hale Homestead - Coventry – October 12 -11:00am - 2:00pm   It is like a country fair every Sunday… the old-fashioned kind, with farmers, produce, freshly baked pies, sparkling jars of preserves and pickles, handmade goods, and fiddlers.  New England Travel Magazine calls ours “Connecticut’s preeminent farmers’ market.”  http://coventryfarmersmarket.com/events/

16th Annual Connecticut Renaissance Faire – Dodd Stadium -  Norwich – October 10 - 13 – 10:30am – 6:00pm  The Renaissance Faire returns to southeastern Connecticut for five consecutive weekends and Columbus Day. Don’t miss one of the state’s most popular tourist destinations complete with knights in shining armor, fair maids, jousting, comedy, games, archery, rat circus, fire eaters, rope walkers, birds of prey demonstrations, interactive characters from history, contests, and continuous themed entertainment on nine stages – and all shows are included with your admission!  Shop in New England’s largest medieval marketplace featuring handcrafted and unique items you can’t find anywhere else. Feast like a king on turkey legs, bread bowl stews, cheesecake, and many other delectable food options and then wash it all down with an ice-cold craft beer from Thimble Island Brewery.   http://ctfaire.com

19th Annual Scarecrows Along Main Street – Wethersfield – October 1 - 29 Free  Come take a walk in Old Wethersfield along Main Street. Enjoy the unique and creative styles of scarecrows made from different people. Judge for yourself to see who has the best scarecrow. http://www.historicwethersfield.org

Lighthouse Harbor Tours – Robert Mills US Customs House – Bank Street – New London – October 12 - October 26 - 11:00am - 3:00pm  Hourly lighthouse tours. All advance tickets should be booked on line: please to www.brownpapertickets.com and search “New London Lighthouse” to find all events. For day-of-tickets, only, call 860-447-8700 or stop by the Custom House

15th Annual Corn Maze – The Beatles - Lyman Orchards – Middlefield  August 30 – November 2  With more than two miles of twisting and winding pathways carved within four acres of towering cornstalks, a hundred decision points, and just one way out, getting lost in our 15th Annual Corn Maze will be a lot of fun, and it's all for a great cause! $1 of every admission is donated to the American Cancer Society. http://lymanorchards.com/events

Bob Chudy

Program Director

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

Office of Global Affairs

University of Connecticut

2011 Hillside Rd U-1083

Storrs, CT 06269