40th  Annual Glastonbury Apple Harvest Festival – Glastonbury - Riverfront Park – (Welles Street) -   October 17 – 19  This annual October event brings in roughly 15,000 people over the course of the weekend (and now Friday and Saturday nights too).  This year is going to be extra special for the Apple Harvest Festival.  Not only is this our 40th Anniversary but we are adding three stages that will feature 40 local, original musical acts from all across Connecticut  and the addition of fireworks which will take place Saturday night (weather permitting).  All of the music and fireworks are in addition to over 100 vendors, a myriad of food vendors, pony rides/petting zoo, a full midway of amusement rides, and our “Harvest Pub” beer and wine garden.  Each year the Glastonbury Apple Harvest Festival is rated as one of the best annual events in the entire state.  This year promises to be the biggest and best in the festival’s storied history.  http://www.glastonburychamber.com/

18th Annual Gesang Und Declamations  (Maple Grove) - GermanFest – Vernon – October 18 -12:00noon – 6:00pm. The members of the Gesang Und Declamations Club (Maple Grove Club) are pleased to present their 18th annual Germanfest on Saturday, October 18, 2014. Established in 1888, the club, located at 100 Franklin Street, Rockville, has a rich German/American Heritage.  Over the years,  hosted many festivals and its German Singing Club won many awards. The annual Germanfest is the club's way of keeping touch with its past. The fest will begin at 12:00 pm with the opening of the Bier Garden, featuring traditional German Biers ($2 per 16 oz drafts.) Live music will feature Fritz's Oktoberfest Band from 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm. The much heralded German Plate will be served from 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm at a cost of $15.00 per plate. Traditional German recipes include Bier Braised Bratwurst, Steamed Knockwurst, Potato Pancakes, German Potato Salad, Sour Kraut, Red Wine Braised Red Cabbage, and homemade Apple Sauce. Fun raffles will be drawn throughout the day. For more information, please contact the Maple Grove Club at 860-896-1033. http://www.maplegroveclub.com/

7th Annual Thomas Hooker Parade – Downtown Hartford – October 18 – 2:00pm Parade celebrates Thomas Hooker, founder of Hartford, lover of parades. It is hands down the weirdest, most made-up, rag-tag, cut loose, high-spirited, mardi gras bead throwing, costume and candy filled parade. It is an interactive, moving celebration of the city's creativity and its people. http://www.hartford.com

26th Annual Heublein Tower Toot - Talcott Mountain State Park – Bloomfield – October 18 – 19 – 10:00am – 5:00pm Free tours of Heublein Tower, food, entertainment and more at Heublein tower. http://www.friendsofheubleintower.org

32nd Annual Roseland Cottage Fine Arts and Crafts Festival – Woodstock – Route 169 - October 18 – 19 – 10:00am  – 4:30pm  Rain or Shine. The Roseland Cottage Fine Arts and Crafts Festival is one of the leading juried fine arts and crafts shows in New England. This two-day event features 175 artisans and their wares - jewelry, woodworking, pottery, glass, toys, paintings, clothing, metalworking, and much more. Enjoy live music, a food court, and first-floor tours of Roseland Cottage. Get festival updates on Facebook.

24th Annual Bowen's Wharf Seafood Festival – Newport, Rhode Island – October 18 – 19 – 11:00am – 5:00pm FREE ADMISSION (food and beverages can be purchased at vendor booths) RAIN OR SHINE UNDER THE FESTIVAL TENTS!  Historic Bowen's Wharf in downtown Newport, RI, will host the 24th annual Bowen's Wharf Seafood Festival, on October 18th and 19th. Named one of the "10 Fabulous Fall Festivals on the Coast," by Coastal Living Magazine, this event is an open invitation to come back to the waterfront after the rush of the summer season! Honoring the "Harvest of the Sea," the Bowen's Wharf Seafood Festival offers fresh, local seafood. Fish tacos from Diego's Restaurant, signature cocktails and cold New England beer accompany continuous live music, and family fun, all beneath the Wharf's colorful tents. Other neighboring restaurants and fisherman's associations serve up their most celebrated seafood dishes (lobster dinners, clam chowder, stuffed quahogs, clam cakes, shrimp, scallops, raw oysters and clams, as well as a few dishes for landlubbers and kids). Spirits and soft drinks are available. Desserts include tempting pies, ciders, and other baked goods. Cafe-style seating is set up throughout the Wharf.

As you savor fresh dishes, sit back and enjoy the beats from area bands. Under the music tent, live folk, Celtic, sea shanties, and blues music are just a taste of what you'll hear.  http://www.bowenswharf.com/events

Haunted Graveyard  - Where the Thrills Never Dies - Lake Compouce Amusement Park - Bristol – October 17 – 18 – 19  – 5:00pm - 12:00 mid night  Lake Compounce is the oldest, continuously-operating amusement park in North America, having its genesis more than 165 years ago in 1846! The park has invested millions in rides and attractions during the recent years, and today is more beautiful than ever. Among other famous attractions, Lake Compounce is home to Boulder Dash, which has been voted the world’s #1 wooden roller coaster, as well as Connecticut’s largest water park. During the Halloween season, the park becomes a haunted park.  Check out the following web site for more details about the Haunted Graveyard experience. http://www.hauntedgraveyard.com/fees.htm

16th Annual Connecticut Renaissance Faire – “Fantasy and Romance Weekend” -  Dodd Stadium -  Norwich – October 18 – 19 – 10:30am – 6:00pm  The Renaissance Faire returns to southeastern Connecticut for five consecutive weekends and Columbus Day. Don’t miss one of the state’s most popular tourist destinations complete with knights in shining armor, fair maids, jousting, comedy, games, archery, rat circus, fire eaters, rope walkers, birds of prey demonstrations, interactive characters from history, contests, and continuous themed entertainment on nine stages – and all shows are included with your admission!  Shop in New England’s largest medieval marketplace featuring handcrafted and unique items you can’t find anywhere else. Feast like a king on turkey legs, bread bowl stews, cheesecake, and many other delectable food options and then wash it all down with an ice-cold craft beer from Thimble Island Brewery.   http://ctfaire.com/

CT Restaurant Week  - October 13th – 19th  Connecticut Restaurant Week is back for 2014!  From October 13 through 19, nearly 100 participating restaurants will offer up special deals for restaurant week, examples may include a $20.14 or $30.14 mutli-course prix-fixe menu, two-for-one specials, a percentage off of your check, a specially-priced bottle of wine or a special on locally brewed craft beer.

New for 2014: CT Restaurant Week pairs up with CT Beer Week to highlight both the great restaurants that Connecticut has to offer as well as highlight all of the great local breweries we have located right here in CT. In addition to the special restaurant week menus, you may also find your favorite (or new favorite) CT brewed craft beer too. You can check out all of the CT Beer Week events on the CT Beer Trail site or by clicking here. See more at: http://www.connecticutrestaurantweek.com/connecticut-restaurant-week/#sthash.tsTGEr9m.dpuf

Scantic Valley – Corn Maze – Somers – October 1 – October 26  Our family farm also hosts one of the area’s largest corn mazes on weekends in September and October with harvest fair fun including pick-your-own pumpkins and hay rides. Our farm is easy to get to, only minutes off of I-91 in Somers. Please explore our site and you can contact us for direct-from-the-farm meat sales. Our Giant Corn Maze encompasses 8 acres and 3 miles of trails. Download/View our Maze Rules Here We also offer a Kiddie Maze, Barnyard viewing area, and plenty of wholesome fun activities in the “OK Corral”- our play area for kids. The Marketplace and General Store are a perfect place to stock-up on kinds of fall decorations as well as our “Limited Edition” Corn Maze T-Shirts. We offer many CT Grown products including our jam, syrup, and especially our very own farm raised meats. Our freezer is stocked with tempting cuts of steak, roasts, sausage and more! Take some home for grilling tonight. Complete your visit with a relaxing hay ride while enjoying our scenic valley with your family and friends. Scantic Valley Farm is surely a place where your family traditions will be made. http://scanticvalleyfarm.com/

Farm to Latte” - The Coventry Regional Farmers’ Market  -  Nathan Hale Homestead - Coventry – October 19 - 11:00am - 2:00pm   It is like a country fair every Sunday… the old-fashioned kind, with farmers, produce, freshly baked pies, sparkling jars of preserves and pickles, handmade goods, and fiddlers.  New England Travel Magazine calls ours “Connecticut’s preeminent farmers’ market.”  http://coventryfarmersmarket.com/events/

5th Annual New England Festival of Ibero American Cinema - New Haven – October 21 – 26   A six-day series of films of Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries, returns to Whitney Humanities Center, 53 Wall St., in New Haven, Oct. 21 to 26. The centerpiece is a tribute to the great Raúl Juliá, who died 20 years ago. Q&As follow some screenings. Admission is free. Details and short-film lineups at www.nefiac.com

19th Annual Scarecrows Along Main Street – Wethersfield – October 1 - 29 Free.   Come take a walk in Old Wethersfield along Main Street. Enjoy the unique and creative styles of scarecrows made from different people. Judge for yourself to see who has the best scarecrow. http://www.historicwethersfield.org

Lighthouse Harbor Tours – Robert Mills US Customs House – Bank Street – New London – October 19 - October 26 - 11:00am - 3:00pm  Hourly lighthouse tours. All advance tickets should be booked on line: please to www.brownpapertickets.com and search “New London Lighthouse” to find all events. For day-of-tickets, only, call 860-447-8700 or stop by the Custom House

15th Annual Corn Maze – The Beatles - Lyman Orchards – Middlefield  August 30 – November 2  With more than two miles of twisting and winding pathways carved within four acres of towering cornstalks, a hundred decision points, and just one way out, getting lost in our 15th Annual Corn Maze will be a lot of fun, and it's all for a great cause! $1 of every admission is donated to the American Cancer Society. http://lymanorchards.com/events

Robert Chudy

Program Director

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

Office of Global Affairs

University of Connecticut

2011 Hillside Rd U-1083

Storrs, CT 06269