Lecturer, Geospatial Analysis in Planning and Policy

The Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning (UEP) at Tufts University invites applications for a non tenure-track Lecturer in Geospatial Analysis, beginning in Fall 2015. We seek a colleague with primary expertise in applied geospatial analysis as applied to sustainability, environment, or community dynamics. Knowledge of ArcGIS is required, and experience with Python and the design of spatial models is preferred. Expertise in complementary analytical methods such as spatial statistics, statistical analysis or using digital technology for visualization is a plus.

A Ph.D. in planning/policy, geography, or other related fields is required. A demonstrated record of teaching effectiveness is preferred. The candidate will be expected to develop and teach basic and more advanced courses in geospatial analysis at both undergraduate and graduate levels, serve as a thesis advisor to graduate students, and work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary department. This is a teaching position, and the teaching load is six courses per year, one of which can be thesis advising.

Tufts University is a private, coeducational institution, whose main campus serves approximately 5,000 undergraduates and 1,500 graduate students in a broad spectrum of programs. We are located in the towns of Medford and Somerville, within the Greater Boston metropolitan area. A graduate department (masters only), with an M.A. program accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board and a mid-career Master of Public Policy, UEP is committed to educating  public-spirited individuals concerned with sustainability, equity, and social justice (http://ase.tufts.edu/uep/).

Interested persons should submit a letter of application, curriculum vita, a statement of teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching performance, a sample course syllabus in geospatial analysis, and the names of three references to the following link: https://apply.interfolio.com/27169. For any questions, please contact Maria Nicolau, Department Administrator, Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning, Tufts University, 97 Talbot Avenue, Medford, MA 02155 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Review of applications begins November 15, 2014, and continues until the position is filled.

Tufts University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our faculty. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.

Patrick Florance
Manager, Geospatial Technology Services, TTS
Lecturer, Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy
Director, Open Geoportal Project
Tufts University
16 Dearborn Rd.
Somerville, MA 02144