From: Ilan Sanchez [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:07 PM

Subject: Missing Mexican Students - Show of Support‏

***PLEASE SHARE WIDELY***

JOIN US TOMORROW (THURSDAY NOV. 20) @ 12:15PM OUTSIDE OF THE BABBIDGE LIBRARY (MAIN ENTRANCE) IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE 43 MISSING MEXICAN STUDENTS

On Friday, September 26, 2014, 43 normalista students, in Guerrero, Mexico, were kidnapped by police forces simply for demanding education reforms in their state. Journalistic sources indicate that the mayor of Iguala, Guerrero, Jose Luis Abarca, ordered the detention of the students after they attempted to interrupt a public event promoting his wife's political campaign.
TO THIS DATE, THE WHEREABOUTS OF THESE STUDENTS REMAINS UNKNOWN.

As the outrage spreads throughout Mexico and around the world, a general strike has been called on November 20th, 2014.

We ask that students, faculty, staff and friends of the University of Connecticut join the call for solidarity with the families of the 43 students and with the struggle of the Mexican people. We are planning a symbolic act to show our support in the plaza in front of the Homer Babbidge Library on Fairfield Way.

As part of our demonstration, we will be reading out loud the names of all 43 missing students and have their pictures on display.  We ask that you please come dressed in black. Any banner and/or poster is strongly encouraged.

¡Fue el estado!
(It was the State!)
¡Vivos se los llevaron, vivos los queremos!
(They took them alive, alive we want them back!)

IN SOLIDARITY,
Jorell Meléndez-Badillo
Orlando Deavila Pertuz
Claudio Dáflon
Ilan Sánchez

Ilan Sánchez Moreno
M.A. Candidate, Latino & Latin American Studies
University of Connecticut
El Instituto for Latina/o, Caribbean, and Latin American Studies
[Image removed by sender.]<http://elin.uconn.edu/>
[Image removed by sender.]<https://www.facebook.com/uconn.elin>[Image removed by sender.]<http://instagram.com/elin_uconn/>[Image removed by sender.]<https://twitter.com/ELIN_UCONN>