A friend at GDT suggested a projection-free way to calculate distances between lat/long pairs:  calculate the spherical angle between the two points relative to the center of the earth, then convert the angle to a distance using an assumed radius of the earth.  I guess you need to assume a spherical earth….

Interesting way to think about it.  We do tend to get the rope wound around the axle given our comfort with projections.

****** Don

From: Northeast Arc Users Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andy Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Finding Distance between points over water

No single projection will work, you must use different ones over subglobal distances, which prevents a single calculation. But one approach would be to use the plate carrée projection (your attached example) to generate a rough route, then choose an appropriate projection over each leg, e.g. two-point equidistant, and then project to a new raster and redetermine the legs and then calculate the distance. Still won’t be the best possible distance because you’re fixing points, but it should be a better estimate.

For the resolution you are using (~70 Km/pixel) I don’t think a land buffer is necessary.

— Andy