To slightly digress from the original topic, I think there’s a couple of geographic capacity questions that have to be asked in relation. I did a study on Port Efficiency and modeling way back in grad school – and it was much more pure geography than GIS. I apologize if this covers ground that is not elsewhere mentioned.

There’s the pure distance question: Using Arc of Circle type calculations is the distance, rather than straight line, as we’ve referenced here. I would generally argue Andy’s methodology is correct.

Secondly, there’s the capacity question: All ports have capacity ratings. For example, Shanghai, Hong Kong and LA will have larger capacities than perhaps a smaller like Port Angeles, WA or Ningdei, China. This is important to ask because it obviously changes routes.

Third, there is the trip purpose question: Is the goal to bring a Super-Panamax vessel to a large port where the shipments will be split into smaller, inner-ocean carriage vessels? If so, the trip becomes a question of which port is quickest to service that kind of division of cargo.

Finally, a major issue may be turnaround or efficiency time: A superior port with notable high speeds in turning around load exchanges may offer an incentive (time = money) that distance alone cannot model. I found this to be the case in Kelang, Malaysia.

I wish you the best of success, Milan, with your study.

Kind regards,

Rich