Looks like email that I sent yesterday didn't go through.
Here it is again:

Hello Listserv,

I have point dataset of ship trips from one port to another. I want to calculate the shortest distance between each port pair  over water. There are thousands of voyages, and 5,000 unique ports from all over the world. One of the approach I can use in ArcGIS  is to run the Cost-Path tool having water/land as a cost raster to make a path only on water. But I assume that the Cost-Path approach would be little tedious for a large dataset. I wonder if anyone in this forum has a suggestion to calculate a shortest distance between two points having restricted path.

I will highly appreciate your feedback.

--
Milan Budhathoki

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/nearc-l.html.