Dear all,

Dave is a young probabilist working on stochastic differential equations.
http://davidpherzog.altervista.org/

1.  He'll arrive tomorrow morning and will stay Saturday too.
If you want to meet him, please let me and I'll coordinate.
2. I'll take him for lunch and dinner tomorrow. You're very welcome to join (we
don't have anyone for dinner yet).
As always, grad students will be subsidized and are strongly encouraged to join.
3. Now for the talk.

Title:Noise-Induced Stabilization of Planar Flows
Speaker: David Herzog (Drake University)
Time: Friday, November 7, 2014 3:30 pm
Place: MSB 109A

Abstract. We discuss certain, explosive ODEs in the plane that become stable
under the addition of noise. In each equation, the process by which stabilization
occurs is intuitively clear: Noise diverts the solution away from any instabilities in
the underlying ODE. However, in many cases, proving rigorously this phenomenon
occurs has thus far been difficult and the current methods used to do so are rather
ad hoc. Here we present a general, novel approach to showing stabilization by
noise and apply it to these examples. We will see that the methods used
streamline existing arguments as well as produce optimal results, in the sense that
they allow us to understand well the asymptotic behavior of the equilibrium
measure at infinity.

Hope to see you,

Iddo