Greetings!

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) would like to wish you a happy new year!  The start of spring semester is right around the corner so please review these important reminders to help you start off on the right track!

ARRIVAL:

Spring semester classes begin January 20th and ALL students must arrive on campus by this date.  Please note that new students may need to arrive even earlier depending on your program or orientation schedule.  For more information on the various orientations taking place on Storrs campus:  http://global.uconn.edu/about/isss/newstd-orientation-information/  Regional campuses may have different orientation dates- inquire with your program to find out.

After arriving at UConn please visit the One Card Office in the Wilbur Cross Building, second floor to get your Student ID card as soon as possible.  You will need your student ID card for orientation activities and access to other facilities.  You will need to bring your passport to the One Card Office with you when you go to get your ID.  For more information please visit www.onecard.uconn.edu.

ISSS ORIENTATION & CHECK IN (NEW STUDENTS):

All new students are required to attend orientation and check in with ISSS. Returning students only need to bring copies of any updated documents to our office (e.g. I-94, visa renewals and passport renewals.)

There are two steps to checking in:

1. Attend mandatory orientation session.

*New Graduate degree students, Storrs campus: Orientation will be held on January 19 at 9:00am. You must register in advance at http://global.uconn.edu/graduate-student-orientation/

*New Undergraduate degree students, Storrs campus: http://orientation.uconn.edu/programs/international_program.html

                *Exchange Students (here for one semester or academic year): Please refer to your UConn exchange coordinator for details.

*Regional Campus students: If your program is at the downtown Hartford (GBLC), Stamford, Avery Point, or Law School campuses, ISSS will attend your campus academic orientation program to provide you with information on how to meet the check in requirement and participate in your program’s Orientation.   If your program is at the Greater Hartford, Waterbury, Torrington o, ISSS will contact you directly on how to meet the check in and orientation requirement at your campus.

2. Check In online.  Go to http://global.uconn.edu/check-in-times-for-international-students/ and follow the instructions given.  Online check in must be completed by January 20.  You will need your I-94 admission record to complete check in.

To print out a copy of your online admission record, go to this website: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html  and select the “Get I-94 Information” tab. You will be asked to enter information found in your passport. You may also find detailed instructions at the link by selecting the “I-94 FAQ” tab.

Students with a change of status application: Please do not check in until your change of status has been approved and you have received your approval notice.

Check-In Schedule for Newly Arrived J-1 Scholars: You MUST check in at ISSS within 3 days of your arrival to the U.S.;

Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

FEE BILL:

Don’t forget to pay your bill! UCONN’s deadlines for paying your bill are fast approaching and failure to pay can have a big implication on your ability to register for classes or change your course registration. Undergrad bills are due 1/8/15 and graduate student bills are due 1/20/15. For other schools and programs (Law School) check with your bursar’s website for payment deadlines. http://www.bursar.uconn.edu/index.php  Failure to pay your bill on time will result with a hold being placed on your account that prevents you from registering and utilizing University services, and if you cannot register for classes you will not be maintaining your F-1/J-1 visa status!  Contact the Bursar’s office if you have questions about your fee bill.

DELAYS/DEFERS/CANCELLATIONS:

If you are delayed in coming to UCONN for any reason by the start of the semester please contact  both ISSS  ([log in to unmask]) and your academic program.

If you will not be able to begin your academic program this semester but may want to start in a later term, contact your academic program (graduate students) or admission office (undergraduate) to inquire if it is possible to defer your start date, or whether you must cancel your admission and reapply at a later date.

All students who will cancel their admission and do not plan to come to UCONN at a later date must notify ISSS ([log in to unmask]) and mail us your Form I-20/DS-2019 form. Do not use this form to enter the U.S. with an F-1 or J-1 visa.

Please notify our office if any of the above changes.

We look forward to meeting you this fall and please enjoy the rest of your break!

International Student & Scholar Services(ISSS)

Office of Global Affairs

University of Connecticut

2011 Hillside Road, Unit 1083

Storrs, CT 06269-1083