Will you complete your degree this semester? Or is your Form I-20/DS-2019 end date approaching? If so, please be sure to read this information carefully.

Your Form I-20/DS-2019 end date refers to the program completion date listed in item 5 on the I-20, and in item 3 of the DS-2019. This date may change based on when you will complete your academic program. Your I-20/DS-2019 will end on your actual program completion date, even if your paper I-20/DS-2019 currently gives a later date.

In addition, you are required to complete your academic program by the end date on your Form I-20/DS-2019. If your end date is approaching, and you will not be able to finish your program by that date, you must contact your international advisor at least two weeks BEFORE the I-20/DS-2019 end date.

Remember that once your program ends, you enter your grace period. During the grace period, you may have several options:

-          Travel within the U.S. and prepare to depart for home. Submit the Departure Notice Form to ISSS before leaving: http://isss.uconn.edu/isss-forms-a-z/

-          F-1 students: Apply for post-completion OPT (for more information see http://isss.uconn.edu/students/current-students/current-students-opt/)

-          J-1 students: Apply for post-completion Academic Training (for more information see http://isss.uconn.edu/students/current-students/current-students-academic-training/)

-          Transfer to a new school or program

-          Change to a different visa type

**Please talk with your international advisor regarding your plans and to determine your specific options. **

IMPORTANT:  Once your academic program has ended you may no longer work on campus. If you have an on-campus job or graduate assistantship, you must stop working as of your program completion date, even if your I-20/DS-2019 still lists a future date.

For most undergraduates and non-thesis master’s students, if you will finish this semester your program end date will be May 9.

This date may be different for master’s students with qualifying exams or theses and for PhD students.

Please talk with your academic department and international advisor if you are unsure of your program completion date.

If you have other questions, please contact your international advisor. If you are not sure who your international advisor is, you can also contact [log in to unmask]

Enjoy the rest of the semester!

ISSS

UConn Global Affairs
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)
2011 HILLSIDE ROAD, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855
FAX: 860.486.5800