Today's seminar will feature a talk by Malik Younsi from Stony Brook University.  Malik will speak on geometric function theory (full title and abstract below).  See you this afternoon!

P.S. We will go to dinner with the speaker tonight (possibly Chang's).  Everyone is welcome to attend.

Seminar Time & Location: 3:30pm in MSB 109A

Title: On the analytic and Cauchy capacities

Abstract:

Analytic capacity of compact plane sets was first introduced by Ahlfors in order to study Painlev\'e's problem of finding a geometric characterization of the compact sets that are removable for bounded holomorphic functions. Despite recent advances due to Tolsa, the properties of analytic capacity remain rather mysterious. In particular, it is still unknown if analytic capacity is equal to the so-called Cauchy capacity. In this talk, I will present some new sufficient conditions for a compact planar set to have equal analytic and Cauchy capcities. As a consequence, I will describe how to produce examples of compact plane sets such that the above equality holds but the Ahlfors function is not the Cauchy transform of any complex Borel measure supported on the set.

Current & Upcoming Seminar Talks

     March 27 - Malik Younsi (Stony Brook University)
        April 10 - Robert Neel (Lehigh University)
        April 17 - Tess Anderson (Brown University)
        April 24 - Alexander Roitershtein (Iowa State University)
          May 1 - Samuel Watson (MIT)

--

Dr. Matthew Badger, Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics, University of Connecticut

www.math.uconn.edu/~badger/