On Wed, 2015-04-29 at 21:50 -0500, Burke Johnson wrote:
> The question again: What following scale do others recommend be used
> to evaluate the degree of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the AERA
> conference, scale A, scale B, or scale C (or some other scale)? And
> why so?
>

> Scale A:
> 1=dissatisfied
> 2=somewhat satisfied
> 3=satisfied
> 4=very satisfied.
>

> Scale B:
> 1=Very dissatisfied
> 2=Somewhat dissatisfied
> 3=Somewhat satisfied
> 4=Very satisfied
>
> or
>
> Scale C:
> 1=Very dissatisfied
> 2=Somewhat dissatisfied
> 3=Neutral
> 4=Somewhat satisfied
> 5=Very satisfied

I don't see that the choice of the scale is the problem. If it is
necessary to use a response scale like A because everyone is likely to
respond positively, then you are not asking the right questions. If you
ask wishy-washy, vague questions that everyone is likely to respond
"yeah, sure" to, then you are not going to get very useful information
from the survey (which is why I don't waste my time responding to such
surveys). The choice of scale is secondary. The *items* should be
constructed to elicit a range of feelings and opinions by including
items that range from easy to endorse to difficult to endorse. The
arrangement of items thus defines the construct that is being measured,
and item analysis can tell if it is a valid construct. Otherwise you're
wasting your time administering the survey, responding to the survey,
and collecting and analyzing the data, and the results will be
non-informative.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- slu <AT> ccsr <DOT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  ccsr.uchicago.edu

Educational Research and Methodology Listserv