Please note that my objective is to determine the *degree *to which
participants are satisfied or dissatisfied with the current object of
evaluation (the conference). (If I only cared about satisfied vs.
dissatisfied I could use a dichotomous scale, but that is not my interest.)
Also, I do not know *a priori* what the responses will be because that is
an *empirical question*; neither does the AERA know (for this year's
conference) despite what might have occurred multiple years ago. (Check out
David Hume's problem of induction.) Next, a survey or marketing or
evaluation researcher would not recommend that a client use an unbalanced
scale, except in exceptional circumstances. In my opinion, this is not one
of those circumstances. The vast majority of books on measurement and
marketing research *exclude *discussion of the practice altogether because
it is controversial. An unbalanced scale can bring the one advantage
mentioned by Paul, but it also brings with it the problem of not being
defensible IF one wants to know the distribution of satisfaction *and
*dissatisfaction
and make claims about this to the public. That is what I want to know. I
thought that was the purpose of the evaluation being discussed here. We
cannot (we should not) just *assume *that most everyone is satisfied when
evaluating a program or other object of interest and then systematically
eliminate categories for responding (in my n=1 expert opinion). How would
you feel if you were just a little dissatisfied (or not quite sure until
you carefully considered the issue) or if you were extremely dissatisfied
and you noticed that satisfied people were given three options but you were
only given one option to place your opinion? Would you feel that the rating
scale was fair, or would you question it? That is the person that is *hurt*
by this scale. Is that fair for a conference focused on social justice? How
would a third-party evaluator or auditor or even an interested consumer
feel when shown the scale currently used, IF the purported *purpose is to
obtain empirical evidence of the degrees of satisfaction/dissatisfaction
with the conference* (and not just to differentiate responses in the scale
region of satisfaction and censor the rest)? In short, I am arguing that
the costs of using the unbalanced scale in the case under consideration are
greater than the benefits.

Perhaps some additional experts in survey research (other than us) will now
we have SIGs devoted to various sorts of evaluation. It would be useful to
hear their opinions.

*The question again*: What following scale do others recommend be used to
evaluate the degree of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the AERA
conference, scale A, scale B, or scale C (or some other scale)? And why so?

Scale A:
1=dissatisfied
2=somewhat satisfied
3=satisfied