Excellent discussion on an exciting topic. This is all still very early in
its life cycle and has significant implications for geospatial
technologists. The AirGon system comes out of a company called GeoCue which
is a highly reputable performer in our industry. $30K might seem like a lot
for an individual investment, but to a surveying or engineering firm
interested in a metric mapping capability, it is quite reasonable. Over the
next few years we will see a plethora of new entrants to this market
offering not just software and hardware (like AirGon) but actual
professional mapping services. Section 333 exemptions and draft sUAS rules
from the FAA are still roadblocks but the time is short before those come
down too. What is clear is that this new expansion of data collection via
sUAS platforms is going to create lots of market confusion in terms of
quality, accuracy, and utility. I know of at least three firms in New
England that are poised to provide geospatial mapping services using sUAS
platforms and are in varying degrees of the FAA approval process right now.
All have different drone platforms and are flying them RIGHT NOW. Since
this is not a marketing list, if you are interested to know more, please
contact me separately for more info. Meanwhile, expect this to be the
primary disruptive technology in the geospatial profession over the next
couple of years!
Ben Houston

Benjamin H. Houston
845-679-9223