From: Northeast Arc Users Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anam Khan
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: question about GIS Project

Hello all,

I am working on a GIS project to map campsites found in a wilderness area. I'm working with the Forest Service and their inventory data for campsites.

I have three feature classes:

campsites.shp: point data for campsites found in the wilderness

SystemTrails.shp: official Forest Service trails in the wilderness

hydro.shp: line data that shows all the streams in the wilderness

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know how I can download free DEM data for a certain location from USGS?

2. If I have contour elevation data that I can get from the DEM, is there a way to extract the elevation that a certain campsite falls on and add that elevation to the attribute table of campsites.shp for that specific campsite?

Thanks,

Anam Khan

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/nearc-l.html.