While there are a bunch of reasons you might want DEM files, if you just want elevation data for the points, you don't have to download the DEM files.  Instead, you could use the python geocoder [1] library to grab the elevation of your points.  Reading the shapefile directly is pretty easy, but with simple point files, I often find it easier to use CSV using ogr2ogr [2].  As a quick test, I converted a small subset of points in SHP to CSV and used this script [3] to add the elevation (meters) to each point.

DT

[1] https://github.com/DenisCarriere/geocoder
[2] ogr2ogr -f CSV campsites.csv campsites.shp -lco GEOMETRY=AS_XY
[3] https://gist.github.com/dc46e33eb19ac67e0ecf