Fewer homeless, but too many are young

May 27, 2015

. . . Connecticut has as many as 3,000 youth who are homeless or without a stable place to live. The results provide policy makers a sense of the scope of this important problem, and give us reason to pause.

We found that youth experiencing homelessness have trouble attending school (only 35.5 percent are attending school regularly) and maintaining steady employment (only 21 percent of those of legal working age are currently working). Connecticut prioritized ending homelessness among adults and families, and it’s working. Now is the time to do the same for homeless youth, because in doing so, we are stemming the tide of turning youth into chronically homeless adults.

read Op-Ed

http://www.kidscounsel.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CT-Viewpoints-5-27-15-SVC.pdf

Bonnie Berk

Communications Director