Meg,

I have been working with ArcGIS Pro since it first was released in Beta and am now writing a book on it for Packt Publishing. So I am very familiar with it and continuing to learn more each day.

ArcGIS Pro is a true 64 bit application that supports hyper threading. This means it can take full advantage of current hardware unlike ArcGIS for Desktop which is still only a 32 bit application. I have found that many processes run faster on ArcGIS Pro when they work. Being a version 1 release, I have found ArcGIS Pro is more prone to crashes than ArcGIS Desktop. I am sure it will get better as Esri releases new versions.

The new ribbon interface is a little more intuitive especially for new users. The tools you need to work on specific items are automatically presented on tabs in the ribbon. This makes finding tools and functions easier.

ArcGIS Pro uses projects much like the old ArcView 3.x did. This allows you to have multiple maps, 3D Scenes and layouts in one project instead of having multitudes of files. This makes managing things a bit easier. Also ArcGIS Pro allows you to work with both 2D and 3D data without having to have an extension. There are still extensions for ArcGIS Pro but you can view and display 3D data without 3D Analyst.

ArcGIS Pro is very much integrated with ArcGIS Online. Licensing for ArcGIS Pro is managed from ArcGIS Online. That is where you assign licenses to users and what license level and/or extensions they can access. Licenses for ArcGIS Pro are also tied to your annual maintenance for ArcGIS Desktop. So if you quit paying the annual maintenance you also lose access to ArcGIS Pro.

I hope this helps. I continue to find more and more in ArcGIS Pro as I use it.

eGIS Associates, Inc.

[log in to unmask] | www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax

Esri Certified Desktop Associate | Esri Certified Enterprise System Design Associate