http://www.kidscounsel.org/new-bill-bans-out-of-school-suspensionexpulsion-of-young-children/

Both the Senate and House have recently passed 1053, a bill that prohibits the suspension and expulsion of children in pre-K through grade 2, except for in certain extreme circumstances.  CCA has been instrumental in developing and supporting this bill, which will protect our youngest clients from being "pushed out" of their preschools and early elementary classrooms.

Unfortunately, the number of exclusions for young children has increased by 11% over the past year, according to data recently released by the State Department of Education.  And we know that those numbers do not include a large group of children whose parents are called to pick them up from school early, without the school recording such exclusion as a suspension.  This bill will ensure that the vast majority of these young children will get to stay in school and will get access to the support they need.

If you would like to learn more, please contact Staff Attorney Kathryn Meyer at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Kathryn Scheinberg Meyer, Esq.
2470 Fairfield Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06605
203-335-0719 (w)