Hi Neil,

I think your best bet is to host them on AGOL or with your own web
hosting.  I'm not familiar with any restrictions on the number of files in
a folder in AGOL but I can ask around the office tomorrow.

However, I think your idea for private web hosting might be the
fastest/easiest.  You can spin up a VM somewhere like DigitalOcean
<http://www.digitalocean.com> or pretty much any Amazon instance.  I'm
quite happy with DigitalOcean.  It costs me $7/mo and you can get $25
credit for recommendations (both people get the credit).  I had web hosting
up and running in ~5 minutes.  This includes configuring SFTP transfer with
FileZilla.  You could give them consistent names, SFTP them into a
directory, and field calculate the link column really quickly.  I think
this solution might take about an hour to stand up, beginning to end.

Otherwise, I think Google Drive would work fine.  I've done it before but I
think you'd spend more time configuring it than other options.

Hope that helps,
Chris Martin