Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!  Unfortunately, I could not find a
readily-available shapefile of state boundaries from British India
(1920s-30s era) which could be used to join to data sets by state.  It
seems that the only option would have been to digitize an historical map
(or find a detailed one already digitized), geo-reference it, and then
manually digitize the boundaries myself, which I didn't have time for.

The professor and I settled on the compromise of merging the shapefiles for
modern India, Pakistan and Bangladesh (obtained from http://gadm.org),
making some adjustments to match modern states more-or-less with their
historical equivalents, and proceeding to map from there.  Since this was
for illustration during a conference presentation (and not for actual
analysis), this compromise was "good enough for government work" [sic].

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.  I did collect a couple of new
data sources I hadn't know of before (http://gadm.org and
http://www.diva-gis.org/).  If anyone out there is looking for contemporary
international data and you have not yet discovered IPUMS-International
<https://international.ipums.org/international/>, one of our students came
across it last semester and that also looks handy.

Thanks again for being such a great resource!

Deborah Reichler
Hamilton College