Many new international students wish to apply for a Social Security number or a driver’s license right after arriving in the U.S. Please note that you will not be able to apply for a SSN or driver’s license right away after your arrival- there are some important steps that you must first take. International students are not eligible to apply for either a SSN or a CT Driver’s License until you have registered for classes, checked in with our office, and we have registered your record as “active” in the SEVIS system. This entire process can take up to 30 days. Please plan accordingly!

Social Security Number/Services Day
All new students who work on campus must apply for a Social Security number. Only students with employment on campus may obtain a U.S. Social Security Number.  ISSS will hold “Services Day” on September 2nd, which is a day where you can come to our office and apply for a Social Security Number (if you have employment) or apply for a Social Security Number denial letter, which is required if you plan to apply for a CT driver’s license or State ID, and you are not eligible for a Social Security Number.  You do not need a SSN to rent an apartment, purchase a cell phone or open utility accounts, although you may be asked to provide one. We will provide more details about Services Day during orientation.

Driving
Please remember that international students may drive in the U.S. with a foreign driver’s license used together with an official International Driver’s Permit obtained in the home country. If you have a driver’s license from your home country, it is highly recommended that you obtain the International Driver’s Permit before your arrival, just in case you decide to drive. If you do not have the International Driver’s Permit, you will be required to obtain a CT license in order to drive. Full instructions on applying for the CT Driver’s License or Non-Driver’s Identification Card (State ID) can be found on our website: http://isss.uconn.edu/drivers-license/

If you plan to purchase a car, but drive on your foreign driver’s license, you still must obtain either a CT Driver’s License or CT Non-Driver’s Identification Card in order to register your car. Again, you must be full registered for classes, checked in with our office and fully registered in SEVIS before you can apply for either of these documents. Please plan your living accommodations accordingly, and be sure you will not be dependent on getting a CT license or registering a vehicle in your first months at UConn.

We will talk more about these processes during ISSS orientation, so please bring your questions!

UConn Global Affairs
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)
2011 HILLSIDE ROAD, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855  |  FAX: 860.486.5800
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
http://isss.uconn.edu<http://isss.uconn.edu/>

ISSS Summer Office Hours (5/12/2015-8/21/2015):
Monday-Friday  9:00am-12:00pm & 1:00-4:00pm EST (12:00-1:00pm EST closed)