Sent on behalf of the UConn divisions of Student Affairs and Public Safety

To the UConn Student Body:

Welcome to our thousands of new and returning students!

As we approach Move-In Weekend at Storrs and the start of classes at all campuses, we’d like to share details about what to expect as we all work together to make the coming days as safe, exciting and enjoyable as possible.

Here’s some important information to answer your questions about …

When residence halls open at Storrs:

·       Newly admitted freshmen and transfer students can start moving in Friday morning, and continuing and change-of-campus students can start Saturday morning. In all, more than 12,700 students will live on campus this year.

·       See the Department of Residential Life’s website for helpful information, including each residence hall’s move-in schedule. We know this is an exciting and emotional time, and following the move-in guidelines should help make the process easier and get you off to a great start.

How traffic and parking may be affected on campus:

·       Alumni Drive will be one-way from Hillside Road toward Hilltop Apartments (southbound) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday due to the ongoing STEM Residence construction project.

·        Please exercise patience with others throughout the move-in weekend; after all, thousands of people – pedestrians and drivers alike -- are new to our campuses and learning their way around. Remember, drivers must always yield to pedestrians.

·        Those considering bringing motorcycles, mopeds or scooters should first acquaint themselves with the University’s policies and  regulations regarding their on-campus use.

·        UConn buses resume their regular schedule early Monday morning. Some schedules have changed, so check their web page for updated lines and stops.

Some helpful specifics:

o      East Campus residents with vehicles that will NOT remain on campus should move them to the North Garage once they have unloaded at their residence halls.

o      Residents of Hale and Ellsworth halls and Garrigus Suites residents should carefully follow the check-in times and parking information provided by Residence Life in the email sent Monday, Aug. 24.

o       Hillside Road will be heavily traveled throughout the Move-in Weekend and should be avoided to the extent possible.

o       Hilltop Apartment Complex residents should consider using its Jim Calhoun Way entrance to avoid possible delays on Alumni Drive.

o       Husky Village and Towers residents should access their move-in locations via the W-Lot entrance from Route 195, across from the intersection with Horsebarn Hill Road.

o       North Campus & Northwest Quad residents with vehicles that will NOT remain on campus should relocate them to the North Garage once they have unloaded.

o       South Campus residents should consider entering campus from Route 195 at Bolton Road to minimize travel time.

What to expect in traffic near our campuses:

·       Off-campus construction that’s not under UConn’s control could also affect your drive to Storrs and other campuses.

·        A state project to rebuild the Exit 68 off-ramp from Interstate 84 to Route 195 – a primary route to campus – has caused delays in the past, but the state Department of Transportation says it won’t be closing lanes there during the coming days.

·       Click here to be connected with the DOT’s interactive travel map, which highlights active construction projects and jams around the state.

·       Connecticut Water Co., which is extending a water line along Route 195 to UConn, has directed its contractor to avoid working on the road on Friday due to the higher-than-anticipated traffic volumes; and again on Monday, the first day of classes. Check their website for traffic and project updates throughout the year.

What UConn provides for off-campus students:

·       UConn’s Off-Campus Student Services office is here to help with questions on everything from finding a roommate to winterizing your vehicle. It also coordinates a variety of social events at Storrs geared specifically for those living off campus.

·       Students attending campuses other than Storrs also have a range of helpful resources at their disposal. We encourage you to explore your campus, meet other Huskies at its social events, and become familiar with the many student services available at each location.

A little overwhelmed? Don’t worry, we won’t quiz you on all of this information. Just keep it handy and refer to it when you have questions, or if you meet a fellow Husky who could use a little help. After all, we’re all part of the UConn family – and together, we’ll make this a wonderful semester.

We wish you the best in all of your endeavors!

Sincerely,

Michael Gilbert

Vice President for Student Affairs

Eleanor JB Daugherty

Associate Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students