Thanks Chad!  This did it, I must have set the scale in the Spatial Reference dropdown menu at some point.  All of my data driven mxds were doing the same thing, so I must have tried to set the scale there at some some point and made copies from that bad mxd.  So my ArcMap is not haunted by a Ghayanese geographer as I had assumed.

I love this listserve!!!

You could check this:

1. Open the Data Driven Pages Options window
2. Verify that the Spatial Reference dropdown menu is set to "none" (putting in a value here will override the spatial reference set in the data frame)

I would also recommend logging an incident with Esri technical support.  They can walk you through how to fix the issue.

Regards,

Chad

Chad Anderson, GISP

Kristin DeRosia-Banick
Environmental Analyst III
State of Connecticut Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Aquaculture

Office:  203.874.0696 ext 112
Cell:      203.209.4023
Fax:     203.783.9976