For more information on this subject, be sure to sign up for our KidsCounsel seminar/webinar “Suspending Our Students: CT New Laws and Schools’ Responsibilities” on September 29th:  http://www.kidscounsel.org/event/ban-on-suspension-for-young-students-new-law-and-what-schools-should-be-doing/

The Connecticut Office of Early Childhood is pleased to present two new videos on supporting children’s social and emotional development. The videos feature teachers and providers from a variety of centers and child care homes across Connecticut, as well as insights from early childhood experts.

“Understanding Challenging Behavior in Young Children” highlights the importance of considering factors that may influence a child’s behavior and responding to behavior objectively (positive and helpful manner). To view this video, please go to: http://www1.easternct.edu/cece/understanding-challenging-behavior-in-young-children/

“Reflecting on our Reactions and Responses to Children’s Behavior” provides insights on how teachers and providers can gauge their own personal feelings before reacting to children’s behavior. The video also touches upon the importance of a supportive work environment. To view this video, please go to: http://www1.easternct.edu/cece/reflecting-on-our-reactions-and-responses-to-childrens-behavior/

Please note that closed captioning is currently available in English and will soon be available in Spanish. While watching the videos, click on “settings” for the option to turn on subtitles in English or Spanish (once available).

These videos were developed by the Center for Early Childhood Education at Eastern Connecticut State University. They are also available on http://www.kidsmentalhealthinfo.com/, a website developed by the Child Health and Development Institute to provide information about behavioral and mental health issues to parents, early childhood providers and health providers. The videos can be found in the Early Care and Education Providers Section of the website.

Diana Lejardi, MPH

Director of Communications

Connecticut Office of Early Childhood

165 Capitol Avenue